Disease?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
On Friday my catfish looked like he had a few spots of ich on him. So I treated him immediately. The spots went away. Now I think I see another and an area of his skin has gone all white and mouldy looking, his black spots arent even visible any more. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any suggestions to what I should do? I have had this fish for almost a year and do not want to lose him.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My bet is bacteria - white/mouldy - bacterial/fungal infections are common after other illnesses. I cannot suggest a specific treatment, but I would move him to another tank and treat with an antibiotic ASAP.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Im still treating for ich.
Ive had a type of fungus on fish in the past, the disease the catfish has doesnt really look like a fungus. Maybe I'm describing it wrong, its not like stuff hanging off the fish, its more of a skin de-coloration that looks mouldy.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Fungus is a result of bacterial infections, so you need to rule that out right away. Ick likely caused the skin leasions (holes) from the cysts that can easily get infected. I dont think you should treat for fungus, but definately treat for bacteria.

Melafix is not strong enough to cure it, use a med that is specifically for bacteria.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I guess I'm still not comming across clear, I saw 4 spots of ich on Friday, I have treat for ich each day so I am definately still treating for ich :) I know that wasnt a specific question, just wanted to let you know =)
There are no holes in the skin, it is just a differnt color that definately doesnt look healthy. It appears as though it is spreading. Unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank :( if it gets any worse I will figure something out though (this time there is nowhere open for me to go get one). So far the other fish seem fine, I hope it stays that way.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
awww angel sorry to hear your guys not doing well :(

i'm with everyone else on this...it does sound like a secondary infection...the ich meds are doing their job but the lesions caused by the ich cysts might be infected causing the discoloration...you wouldnt see the holes/lesions themselves (to small)

i'm with mike if you cant q-tank him add some melafix...it wont interfere with your ich meds and wont trash your bio-filter...it does have anti-bacterial properties to it so it could prevent it from spreading and if the infection isnt to deep it might even clear it up also melafix will help to heal the wounds caused by the ich

good luck and let us know how hes doing

--liz:)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Don't stop the Ick treatment (it takes 21 days to treat the tank) right?

Melafix is fine, but my research leads me to believe it is simply an ointment and I would not put my faith in it curing your fish.

Skin discoloration and mouldy appearance sound a lot like a bacteria. Try to get a small backup tank at a garage sale, in the bargain finder, or just steal one (kidding) if you have to so you can treat him for bacteria without treating the rest of the other fish. Lots of clean water cannot hurt either.

Bacteria infections scare me more than fungus or Ick, simply because they can kill a fish so quickly and the medications are dangerous at high dosages.

Hope he recovers soon. Keep us posted.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
UPDATE: Hes getting way worse, there appears to be a puss type of thing oozing out of the infected area. It doesnt look good at all. Yet he is still behaving perfectly normal as though nothing is wrong. I am really worried.

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
since catfish have different sort of scales, they are more prone to ich (so i've heard) and it seems logical that in treating your case of ich, you may have picked up a resistant strain. ich is bacteria, after all, and if one bacteria has resistances to ich antibiotics, eventually they'll all be resistant. if the current treatment isn't working, i might increase the dosage, although i do admit that if there is little progress now, you are probably going to loose the fish, unless it's not ich and not a fatal infection. sorry to hear about this. losing a fish sucks :(.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
hmm...ich isnt a bacteria at all it's a parasite, i suppose it can get resistant to treatment but this dosent seem to be the case...there is some thing secondary to ich that is affecting the fish

angel-does the ich itself seem to be clearing up? any plans for a q-tank yet?

sorry to hear he's not doing any better:(

hang in there

--liz:)

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Thanks CFMike, I used to talk about him alot, one of my favorite fish.

There is no ich left on the fish, just the new skin problem that I have never seen before

No intibiotic yet, my intentions were to go get one yesterday but the day didnt turn out as planned, at all. So today I'm going to go get one and a QT tank. Its really sad, KitKat never leaves his cave in the day I'll feel horible tearing him away :( But I gotta save the other fish.