Fishmonger70's 75 Gal Reef Journal

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Well I guess this is about time to get my new thread started. I'll be off to pick up my new setup in a few hours. I'll get pictures up when I get it in the house tonight and try to keep you guys up to date as the project goes.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Well here it is, more or less. Oceanic 75 gal reef ready tank with solid oad stand and matching canopy with a Oceanic model 75 trickle filter. Also came with about 30 lbs of Tonga LR, about 50 lbs of crushed coral/sand mixture, Seaclone 100 Protein skimmer. Inside of tank was pretty filthy so I cleaned it out. Threw out the crushed coral mixture and I'm going to put in new aragonite. Rock is currently in a 5 gal pail of sw and a powerhead flowing on it until I decide what I want to keep. Hopefully I can finish cleaning it up and get some water moving in it over the weekend.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Well, things are up and running. Had an issue with my sump but got that taken care of. Found a big crack in the front of the sump tank. Tried to patch it but it didn't hold. I had to go out and get a new sump. I'm still way ahead in buckaroos so it's ok. Setup is all plumbed and runs good. I have my SG up to about 1.025. I have 2 Koralia #2 powerheads and I'm going to pick up another. Just added 75 lbs of substrate so you can't see in the tank. I'll post another pic in a few days when it clears up. I will also get that electrical mess all organized by then too. Thats about it for now.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yur not using the bioballs are u? if yur guna get another koralia id go with a #3.... youll prolly want a better skimmer but i supose the seaclone is better than nothing!

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
No, one more Koralia 2 should be sufficient, and yes, I do have the bioballs in there until I get my live rock and then I will replace with some rock. There's nothing in the tank now anyway so It shouldn't be an issue. Can't afford a better skimmer at this point. I'm putting that into my lighting.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If it were me.......(loosely spoken of course) I would replace the bioballs with the live rock you have in a bucket. It will help jump start your cycle and will provide immediate filtration which your bioballs won't.......just my 2cents worth

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree that u should ditch the bioballs from the begining and save your self some trouble in the end! like i said that skimmer is better than nothing ;) .... are u buying your stuff online or from lfs? these guys sell the koralias for the best ive seen around! (even after shipping)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well what does the rock u have now look like? if if doesnt look bad id just put in the the display tank n just throw the skimmer, heater and any other equipment in the sump for now... i would add a light to the sump and make a fuge section where u could grow some cheato to assist in the nutrient export, if yur guna put rock in the sump u want some rubble rock (small pieces)
HTH

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Well the LR I have is small chunks of Tonga rock and its not in the best of shape. Its mostly dead and I don't think it will ever amount to much. I found a couple small peices(1 to 2 lbs each) of Fiji mixed in with the Tonga that may amount to something and put them in the main chamber of my sump. If I put about 90 lbs of LR in my display tank and keep the bio balls in the sump, it should be ok if I stay up with my maintenance.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Fine, when I get my LR, I will remove the bioballs and leave that chamber empty and put a few more pounds of rock in the main chamber. I don't want to use the Tonga that came with the tank. Plus I have another 20+ lbs of nice Indonesian LR in my 20 gal tank that will be moved in when my 75 is ready.