Forum abbreviations/acronums

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
JNevaril said:
eeeeeeeeeeeek....looks like chemistry class.
what is funny about actually seeing all of those abbreviations, and knowing what they mean, makes me realize that in maintaining my fish tanks, and worrying about such things that are listed up there NO2, NO3, Fe, I, NaCl, CaCo, all that stuff reminds me of chemistry class....
which i had to take twice in high school, becuase it bored me so much i didn't pass the first time! Now, i am actually concerned about how my NO2 converts to NO3...
or is it the other way around....?
;)
just thought i'd add (since this thread was revived :D) that i feel the exact same way... i passed chemistry in high school but i HATED it so much... now i am like a big science nerd with a mini experiment lab in my room!

can't think of any other abbreviations at the moment... although perhaps there could be something about people writing pl*co instead of pleco? not really an abbreviation but still baffling when you don't know...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Excuse me? We don't all know what these things are, especially not new people or younger people who haven't had a chemistry class yet. Don't be so arrogant...no one made you read it.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Even though this is a "Sticky" it's still nice when it gets "bumped" every now and then. Not all new people go and read the "newb" stickies (Although they should). I bumbled around for over a week totally confused, till I actually read these. :p

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
MTS just usually confuses me. I'd be looking through the list of threads and people are complaining about MTS breeding or something... and I'd be sitting there thinking ...multiple tanks huhwhat? It took me forever to remember that it also means the snail thing, I never think of the right one when 'mts' comes up :p

and 'meh' - its usually a negative sound. Kind of like a sigh. or a 'mmph' or something you say instead of saying 'dammit'

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I must admit......I am sick of acronyms! I guess that makes me "old". Are we really getting too lazy to say, or type what we mean? I probably feel this way because of working in healthcare for 21 years.....everything is an acronym, which only further alienates the patients from understanding their own medical situation.

Sorry for rant! MEH!

amystours

Medium Fish
Feb 26, 2006
The two it took me a while to pick up on:

GBR: German Blue Ram
CAE: Chinese Algae Eater

I actually said something about an "ADF" at work last week, and the customer was like, "a WHAT?"...oops. *crazysmil

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
all these acronyms!!! it seems they are in every department...ehh..i hate my science ones..and now these..lol..opps theres goes an acronym..what sucks though is that some have many meanings...ehh