hello im new and I need help

Nov 16, 2009
I have a 10g tank in my doorm room ( its the biggest we can have) and i have 2 tiny feeder goldfish and 2 fancy goldfish 2 snails and i HAD a fiddler crab in there but its dead now it died this morning after i bought it last night.

I was told that all of my fish and things could coexist, is it true? also my roommate unplugs my filter at night ( its a silent one that sounds like a fountain) I would like to have a nice set up but im limited to goldfish ( wasnt my coice the RA's gave them to us)

I'll get pics, there isnt much in it at all. so im open to suggestions.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Goldfish are a bad idea. even feeder goldfish will grow too large and produce too much waste. youll be running into ammonia and nitrite/nitrate spikes often.

Fiddler crabs cannot coexist with goldfish for a few reasons.
1. they like brackish water best
2. they need a terrestrialland space to crawl out of the water.
3. they may pinch.

Not running your filter at night is a terrible idea as the filter media dries out and kills bacteria. youd be constantly cycling the tank and no fish could ever live there that way.

Im guessing its a hob filter. what you can do is actually eliminate the water fall to stop any bothersome noise. simply fill the tank up further until the water level is covering the slope part of the filter. that way the water dousnt even run down, but just circulates.

You arent that limited in terms of fish but you should definately get rid of all the goldfish you have in there. give them to someone responsible that either has a pond, a huge tank, or an oscar. the fancies you will want to give either to a store that accepts them, a friend that has at least a 50 gal, or you can get a bigger tank (but you clearly stated that you cant)

Have you cycled this tank...? if you didnt the fish wont really last much longer than a few weeks. sorry bout that. just try to remove them before they die of ammonia poisoning.

Read up on fishless cycling and do that.
Then you can do a bunch of cool stuff with a ten gallon. search for some ideas online. go with very small fish though. i recommend smaller tetras, cherry barbs, pygmy cories, dwarf gourami, endlers guppies, easy stuff like that. of course youll need a heater and a thermometer too.

Nov 16, 2009
I have a tetra filter.http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/standard/516042.jpg

yeah i'm thinking about getting a tank for my house and putting the Goldfish in there. I really like my Fancy goldfish tho so i dont really wanna give them away. I do want to get tropical fish. would the Crab be able to live with them? like if i got something for them to come out of the water? I dont really know much about fish =0/ any good sites? oh also do they make tank stands for 10g tanks?

Nov 16, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Hello:)

You have recieved some excellent advice from Newman about your filter. Turning off the filter is a terrible idea, and will result eventually in the death of your fish. The filter is there not only to provide water movement, but also to keep the tank clean. The way the filter does this is by drawing in the water, cleaning it, polishing it, and sending it back out. The filter itself is providing mechanical filtration by moving the water. But there are also more subtle things going on inside the filter. Every prepared filter comes with a product or surface that collects nitrifying bacteria over time. This helpful bacteria is essential for the health of your filter, and for the health of the tank itself. It helps to neutralize ammonia and nitrites in the aquarium, preventing spikes in these chemicals that could harm your fish. Ammonia and nitrites are the first and second products of aquarium waste. When the fish urinate or poo in the water, most of this is released as ammonia. The ammonia is then broken down by the bacteria into nitrites. The final product of the cycle are nitrates, which are less harmful to the fish than nitrites. The final component in the filter is the chemical filtration, such as carbon. Some people do not use carbon or other chemicals, but the other two are absolutley necessary to keep your tank healthy.

Goldfish are cold water fish and need a minimum of 20 Gallons per fish. Unless you have a very large tank, in the neighbourhood of 40 gallons or more, these fish are best relegated to ponds. Even still, you might find it difficult to find tankmates for them, as most fish do not like the same conditions as goldfish.

The best environment for the crab would be a paludarium, where it would have space to move about both in and out of the water. In a 10 Gallon tank, this would be difficult to achieve if you wanted to have fish, because there is simply not enough space to build up an area of land while at the same time allowing a lower space for the fish to swim in water.

That being said, there are many options for you with a 10 Gallon tank. Sometimes beginners look at the tanks in the fish stores or the pictures that come on the boxes when you buy the tank. I get sad and frustrated by this because most people that work in fish stores, though they are only doing their jobs, are not educated enough to provide detailed information about the set-up of a new tank. It can look appealing to see the tanks in the fish store that are literally busting with colourful and active fish. It must be understood that this is not meant to be the fish's permanent home, and it is designed to look appealing in order to sell the desired product. You simply cannot stuff that many fish into a small tank and expect them to do well. Secondly, there are so many wonderful kinds of fish, and so little space, money, and time. I made the mistake initially with my first tank to get one of this and two of that..., and maybe, one or three of this other thing... Needless to say, it ended up being a virtual aquatic Noah's Ark. This also, is not desirable.

My advice for you at this point, would be to rehome all of what you have except for maybe the snail. Keep him and put a very little fish food in each day to make sure the tank is continuing to cycle. Keep the filter running the way Newman suggests, with the water level up over the area where the water runs out of the filter, to keep noise down. In the meantime, read up on a few fish you find appealing, and get something you really want. There are a lot of things to consider, and it is better to do a little research, and ask questions, like you are doing now.

Here are some great suggestions for fish you could keep in a 10 gallon with a heater:

Male Guppies, swordtails, or platies: they are colourful and easy to care for. I would steer clear of getting any females, because they reproduce like mad, and you will soon have more fry than you can handle.

Dwarf Honey Gouramis: This is a small gourami that likes to be in groups. Five would be an excellent number if this is all you were going to keep.

Small Tetras: there are a bewildering number of species of tetras that would be happy in this home. These also like to be in schools. Odd numbers look best, perhaps five or seven. Glow lights, Neons, and Black Phantom Tetras are all small and not so active that they would need a larger space. I would steer clear of Dawn or Panda Tetras, Gold Tetras, and Silver Tip Tetras, even though they are small, because these are very active and need lots of room.

Harlequin Rasboras, Porkchop Rasboras: Another beautiful small schooling fish, best kept in small odd numbers.

Leopard or Zebra Danios: These are active little fish, but a few would be OK here. Once again, they like to be in schools. Steer clear of the Giant Danios, however. These are large, and extremely active. I once had to rehome a few of these, because they were too active, and were bothering my other fish. The tank was 55 Gallons.

As an extra bonus, to add detail and help clean the tank:

Glass Shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp. These are interesting to watch and add an extra focus.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails: These help to sift the gravel and will eat any left over fish food. I wouldn't encourage you to have either Pond Snails or Ramshorn Snails, because their numbers will quickly get out of hand. This looks unsightly, and these snails do not sift the gravel like the Malaysian Trumpets. They also eat plants, and if you are planning to have plants, it could prove to be a problem.

Yes, you can get stands for a 10 Gallon tank. They come in many shapes and sizes, and I would suggest you check your local second-hand listings before buying anything new. You might also want to get in contact with your local aquarium society. This will place you in contact with other people who are interested in fishkeeping. You can view fish, and there is usually auctions where you have the opportunity to buy fish and supplies at a fraction of the price you can at pet stores.

I hope some of this has helped, and that I have not overwhelmed you with information. Keeping fish is a very interesting hobby, and can quickly become addictive. If you can only have one tank, you might as well have some fish that really interest you and that you can enjoy for a long time to come.

Take Care
soul-hugger

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Tell your roommate to get over it. If she continues to unplug your filter you might want to find some creative ways to get back at her. The internet is full of ideas. If your allowed to have a 10 gallon tank with a filter in your room, then thats just something she'll have to deal with.

Nov 16, 2009
i think shes doing it cause she doesnt like me. we almost got into a fight last night over it cause i was like why? why do you keep unplugging it? and she got an attitude with me and she was like cause its annoying and i was like you cant hear it i filled it up over the water tray so you wouldnt hear the water trickling and she was like yeah i can and it pisses me off im trying to go to sleep and i was like your TV annoys me and you dont see me turning it off i deal with it ( she sleeps with it on) and she was like well YOU PISS ME OFF and i was like ooohh ok now i get it. i never did anything for her not to like me so i have no idea.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Looks like you are in for a long semester this spring. Study the internet during the holidays for ways to get back at your roommate. ;)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Noooo do not get back at her anything too feirce, cuz you know what might happen. she clearly has complete disregard for w/e you are or you own and she will destroy that tank when youre not there. so dont piss her off too much. she sounds a bit crazy and really ignorant/inconsiderate to me =/
Sorry youre stuck with her for a while. Try to strike a deal or something...

At anyrate, the advice above is great from soul. But you shouldnt really keep sowrdtails in that tank as they need to be in groups of 4 or more and they simply will not fit there. Mollies are even bigger and will be even more crammed. smae story with mollies. they need to be in groups. although balloon mollies might be an option...not sure how big those get.

Like i said in your other thread there are submersible filters. google it, or check your LFS. theyre supposed to be the quietest as long as they are fully submersed. dont know how much thats true

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
you said you got the fish from your RA? Can you get her involved? Anyone who can sleep with a tv on can easily adapt to sleeping with a filter running ... she just doesn't want to. Kindly let her know that she is unknowingly walking all us "old folks" down memory lane. Parts of that road were forgotten for a reason! I had this one roommate .... :) Find someone with authority to intervene. The tank is permissible, the filter has been made as quiet as humanly possible, she sleeps with the tv on anyway ... and put in for a roommate transfer ASAP!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hi princess, take a look a the site linked below in my profile. It has set up instructions and stocking ideas. Your tank is not large enough for even one goldfish, let alone the number you have in there right now.

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
I am a huge fan of cories and a small school of pygmy cories would do great and you'll have a blast watching them. You could get a single betta and put in something like the cories. No fancy guppies etc that might set the betta off as you won't have the space to seperate them if need be.

Regarding fiddler crabs, my kid bought 2 and threw them in with the goldfish I had at the time. She went with what the shop employee said and thought they could stay under water all the time. We only discovered how wrong this was when 1 disappeared and 2 days later we found it all the way across the house covered with dust and lint and missing 2 legs. It did recover but they are now in their own Critter Keeper with terraced sand, hiding places, and water and are much happier there. You COULD just keep fiddler crabs instead of fish in there. Get some play sand from Lowes for less than $3 a bag, something for them to hid under, some wood or stones to build a terrace. It won't require a filter and depending on the temp of your room won't need a heater. I use a well wrapped heating pad under the cage as needed, but there are some heaters you can put under the sand (I will be getting one eventually :) I feed mine crushed shrimp pellets and occasionally a crushed algae wafer.

If you want cold water fish, try the white mountain minnows or rosy minnows. Both tolerate cold water and dont get that big. They are schooling fish so youd need several of one kind.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Sorry your roommate is such a jerk. :-( I've had roommates before that were like that and they suck big time.

As far as what you can put in the 10gal. Might I suggest a male betta? You could still put in some of the other tropical community fish that others have suggested. I suggest a betta for several reasons. 1-they're incredibly hardy. 2-they're very colorful. 3-they have TONS of personality. I have a total of 16 right now (nine females and seven males) and wouldn't have anything else...although I do want maybe some black mollies for my big tank since I'm nowhere near capacity on it.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Yeah, you probably don't want to do anything to her that will lead back to you. At least if you want to keep a tank running in your room. Or you could just steal her boyfriend or something.

Nov 16, 2009
yeah.. she continues to unplug the filter. *shakes head*
my water is cloudy and it stinks its really annoying, i dont think i'm going to jeopardize the lives of tropical fish by having them in the same room as her. I mean its one thing to mess around with goldfish but Tropical fish seem to be of higher quality? i dunno. I think i'll go with the beta idea and just get a bigger tank for home. I'm deff not going to give up on the fish because that would only satisfy her. I'll try compramising ... hmmm....

what to do what to do?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Check the nitrates of the water with a strip (cuz evidently you havent bothered with a liquid test yet) stinking water is a sign of high nitrates/nitrites and an immediate water change should be in order.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Shrimp? i cant find the spot where you asked about them, so sorry if ill be referring to the wrong species. Ghost shrimp are good even for colder water like in a goldfish tank but the goldfish will eat them, given the chance. so dont put them in with goldfish. cherry shrimp and amano shrimp ill be good for a trpical heated tank but as long as you have paceful, small sized fish, not bigger than a standard 3" swordtail.

What shimp basically do is eat leftover food, especially vegetables like peas and romaine lettuce. they clean minimal algae, and only the stuff from the decor and gravel. they ont normally bother with the glass. snails are good glass cleaners but careful of what you get. ramhorns and trapdoor snails are for ponds and they gladly multiply fast. nerite snails wil be a better choice for your tank. i'd say get one or two for a 10 gal.