hello im new and I need help

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Dont actually ask for a bottled product that claims to add beneficial bacteria to your tank. its likely that it wont work (and it wont if its not refrigirated at the store) Ask if they can give you some gravel or some filter media from one of their setablished tanks. some stores wont do it though...

Dont actually ask for a bottled product that claims to add beneficial bacteria to your tank. its likely that it wont work (and it wont if its not refrigirated at the store) Ask if they can give you some gravel or some filter media from one of their setablished tanks. some stores wont do it though...
Biospira was always recommended, but they don't make the refrigerated version anymore. It's now called SafeStart or something; it's not refrigerated but still works. I went to Pets Inc. recently and they sold me a different brand (owner recommended it) for my friend to use. It seems to have worked.

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I didn't finish reading all the answers in this thread, so much information my mind started to freeze lol. If I repeat what someone else said, I apologise.

I dont really know much about fish =0/ any good sites?
This one! It's awesome!

2. The snails you have sound like they may be nerite snails? If so, they rarely breed in captivity, so you're fine with those.

3. -A shrimp only tank is interesting to watch.
-A betta is nice on it's own, with some plants for it to hide/play in.
-The pygmy cories with some small tetras make an excellent "mini" tank.
-African dwarf frogs and incredibly fun to watch, very entertaining, but can be a bit hard to take care of some people find.

Just be sure to research before you buy anything, don't take advice from only one source. A site like this will give you many opinions based on actual experience. Sorry about your roommate, but good luck with your tank and enjoy!