I just got a new tank... from guess where...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Val, if the new tank is all ready to go, then you should transfer everything from your current tank to the new tank a the same time. Take your fish and put them in a bucket. Then transfer everything to the new tank, fill it back up (and condition the water), be mindful of the temperature, and then re-introduce your fish.

What kind of filter do you have on the old tank? Not sure what you mean by "air thing" :)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Froggy,
Air thing: the airator/airstone
sorry I didn't make that clear:(!

Another question...
should I get a platy because swordtails prefer to be with another sword, and platys are alot like swords, right?
My list would then be...

a total of 6 neon tetras
a total of 6 harlequin rasboras
1 swordtail, male.
1 platy
some otos or shrimp or something for cleanup crew once the tank is established...

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Froggy,
Air thing: the airator/airstone
sorry I didn't make that clear:(!

Another question...
should I get a platy because swordtails prefer to be with another sword, and platys are alot like swords, right?
My list would then be...

a total of 6 neon tetras
a total of 6 harlequin rasboras
1 swordtail, male.
1 platy
some otos or shrimp or something for cleanup crew once the tank is established...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It is totally up to you if you want to get another male sword or a platy...I think a swordtail would be ok in a tank without others like it.

Thats fine, I couldn't remember if you had an undergravel filter that it was attached to or if you had another filter but I just looked earlier in the thread and its all good. Did you get a new filter for this tank or keeping the one you're using now? If you got a new one, be sure to transfer the old gunky filter pads into the new filter. The gunkier the better :)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Yes I got a new filter for my tank, and I'll make sure that some gunk will be on the filter pads! lol.
I'm going to wait 'till I'm back from vacation until I set it up (I'm going this week). I don't want anything to go wrong, haha!! Maybe a platy because I don't want to overstock. Female platties grow bigger, so maybe a female platy would be a good buddy for him? And if they had hybrid fry I could sell/give away any of the survivors, everyone thinks hybrids are cool :D, but I don't think they would have fry... I hope :)...

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey I'm building a lid for my tank (it's mesh... looks great so far! I'm just painting it black today, then it's DONE!) and when I was measuring my tank I found that my measurements where incorrect *YET AGAIN* and it is actually 24.5 inch long, 13 inch wide and about 15 inch high. I'm going to re-do my math today yet again, haha!
Would cherry shrimp work? 6 harlequin rasboras 6 neon tetras 1 male swordtail (lyretail, hi-fin, pineapple, neon... one of those.) 1 platy and some cherry shrimp (2 or 3??)
would cherry shrimp work out well in this tank??

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
just an fyi i had a 30gal on a dresser it was a short sturdy one tho and it was on there for over a year without a single problem so i mean check how sturdy your dresser is then sit on it for awhile