Id This Fish Please

Jun 29, 2008
PA
ok well the tank needs to be brought down to 1.009 to get rid of marine ich for 4 weeks. BUT this will kill all your live rock.... i have read to keep the fish quarantined for 4 weeks and the tank fishless for 8 weeks....

I would suggest purchasing a smaller quarantine tank but I guess you could remove the LR and put it in a separate bin with saltwater while the fish are treated. i would bring the salt content or SG down slowly...like 0.002 an hour...i would also put in an air stone to icnrease oxygen since this lowering of salt will decrease oxygen in the water.

this should help....
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/hospital/swich/

Jun 29, 2008
PA
I dont think you need to do both....I know some fish do not do well with copper treatment.

it may be easiest to buy another smaller tank and use that as a quarantine so you do not risk losing your rock. put the fish in there and slowly lower SG to 1.009.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
a few confusing statements in this thread.

Hyposalinity in a quarantine tank is a proven method of dealing with Ich. The fish must remain in the qt tank for the duration of treatment usually 4-6 weeks. During that time you have no fish in the main display, just live rock and any inverts. This will let the ich cycle out of the display by starving it. (If you put your fish in there without letting it run the 6 weeks the ich will just reattach to the fish you must kill the ich on the fish and in the tank)

Do not use copper especially in your display as it will render the tank and everything in it useless for any inverts later as they cannot tolerate any copper that is absorbed by the rock or tank, sand etc.