its Finally set up!

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
I dont know if you guys remember, but a while ago i put my step by step account of switching my 40 gallon fresh water to reef. i never finished it due to lack of time. i finally got around to setting it up.

fish: 1 chromis for now

corals: 1 feather duster
2 colonys of star polyps
a few mushrums

equipment:
40 gallon breeder tank
10 gallon sump w/ built in refugium
rio hyperflow 20 (1259 gph)
evc tech. metal halide retrofit w/ 14 k bulb
aquarium systems seaclone 100 skimmer
40 lbs of reef sand
20 lbs of live sand
55 lbs of variouse live rock

pictures:

sorry for the picture quality:(

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
thank you all for your feedback. tank is fully cycled now.

fish:
1 chromis
1 blue spotted sleeper banded goby
1 small sailfin tang
1 percula clownfish

corals:
1 colony rock of polyps
1 frag of finger leather
1 feather duster(i know its not really a coral but i dont want to make a section for worms)

i just put the finger leather in last night and its doubled its size in about 12 hours. amazing

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
wel it seems my Sailfin has ich :(. hes been doing the ich scratch on the rocks and is now getting spots on him. ive been feeding garlic to them and the ich seemed to go away , but now its comming back twice as bad. is there anything else i can do? i was thinking of setting up a quarintine at a last resort, but i would rather not.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you need to QT the fish and everything else in the tank as well for about 4-6 weeks for treatment and to allow the ich in the display to die. try hyposalinity, supposed to be the best cure for the ich

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
well qt it is then. hyposalinity is just raising the salinity? yea sailfins do get big. im planning on going bigger in a year or so anyways, so hopefully he wont get huge before then. thanks for all the help and feedback

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
thankfully the ich seems to be gone, but im not completely sure. i could just be dwelling inside my sailfin.i guess ill just have to wait and find out. none of the other fish are showing anny sighns of ich either. the next fish i get im going to quarinite just to play it safe.