Lighting Questions

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
15 watts should be fine for the rubble... if you want to add some macro algae u may need a stronger light

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Testing Equipment & Skimmer Questions

OK, I picked up some LR and currently have it in the tank (approx. 13lbs cured Fiji rock, and about 1 lb LR rubble for the HOB fuge), I bought a hydrometer also. I lost my eBay bid for the AquaC Remora....can anyone tell me of a place to purchase that unit online? None of the 7 LFS in my town carry that unit.

Also several of the LFS keep trying to cram the "Visi-Jet PS" skimmer down my throat, near as I can tell, it's an "in tank" skimmer and I'm trying to keep the tank as "clean looking" as possible (as little hardware visable as possible...It's tough to do with just 20g), do any of you guys have any experience with this unit?

While I'm at the LFS later today, I'm going to buy my testing equipment, so here's the question....are there any tests that will work for both FW & SW? I already own the FW master set, will any of that stuff test my SW params?

In the SW world you test for:

Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
pH (right?)
and obviously salinity

What other tests kits should I purchase? The tank will eventually have a couple fish, a few inverts and some soft corals, if any of that matters when purchasing test kits.

Basically to sum it up, are there test kits that can be used for all my tanks (in an effort to curb costs and add convenience :) )

Thanks Again Guys! :p

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
An in-tank skimmer won't really work for you unless you have a sump.

I believe the nitrite kit works for both freshwater and saltwater, and the nitrate kits sometimes do, depending on the type. Check to see if it says anything on the bottles/instructions/color chart card.

If you can, get a refractometer instead of a swing-arm hydrometer. They're $40+ but much more accurate.

You should eventually get a calcium and phosphate test kit, but they're not essential untill after you've cycled. A pH test is important, and they don't generally work on both fresh and salt.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
not sure on any tests that will work for all yur tanks but i regularly test for nitrate,ph,calcium... during the cyle u will need to test for ammonia and nitrite as well.. i still havnt gotten a phos test maybe ill get one today :rolleyes:

btw how bout some pics of the process so far?? :D

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Pics!!

btw how bout some pics of the process so far??
I'm all about pics!!

Here's the start of my DIY HOB fuge light hood.....It started out as a 24" flor. fixture, I gutted it and......

Cut 10" out of the middle with this :D

I then put the 2 halves back together and wired up a 2 socket CF fixture, it's currently running 2 10w CF bulbs, but I have 2 Coralife 50/50 CF bulbs coming for it.

Here's some more of different angles, I still haven't exactly figured out the "light height from the fuge" distance yet, but it's at least mounted for the time being (I think I'm going to lower it about an inch). Please ignore the cheap HOB heater....I have a 150 stealth coming for it as well, I'm hoping to hide the heater behind the rocks somehow.

Here's a whole tank shot....It's tiny, but it's mine :p Please keep in mind, I have 15lbs of "dead" rock coming for this tank too, I'll aquascape it better at that point.

Here's a couple pics of the LR I bought.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Thanks TRe! The fuge is coming together pretty good, there's a few tweaks left, but it's close, and yes I'll be looking for some of that Algae (it is algae correct?) this week, How will I keep it in the fuge?, there's quite a bit of current in there.