Main Problem with Beginners

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I can guarantee that fish experts do not learn what they know from youtube. It would do you well to listen to achase, brian and the other members of this forum.
Two fantail goldfish cannot live in a 22 gallon tank. Fantail goldfish reach a minimum size of 10 inches and need 50 gallons of water per fish. So, that adds up to a minimum of 100 gallons for those two goldfish. Either re-home the goldfish or buy a larger tank.
Have you bothered to buy a liquid test kit yet?
I thought you said you gave back all your other fish? Why are they still in your signature under a reserved 180 gallon tank? It would be best if you actually gave away all of your fish and moved the two goldfish that are suffering from a cramped space and ammonia poisoning in the tiny tank into the 180 gallon tank.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
sorry about everyone telling you to give up your beloved fish...but it is truly for the best, so that you can start correctly and not torture future fish in the process. best of luck to you and keep asking questions! :)

techmynd

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2010
Great! So I can not keep even two little fish in 22 gallons.
I have given all my other fish to a friend who have got 5 tanks. I will take back few from them once I will have a larger tank.
Two fantails who are merely more than one inch can't survive for the time being in 22 gallons tank?

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Yes, I think they could survive, for now, with massive weekly water changes. I think the problem with keeping the two fantails at this point is that goldfish are pretty terrible to cycle a tank with. I'm brand new to this too, but I think the consensus for beginners is to learn within the parameters of your current set up, and not to set things in motion that require future alterations. Just for the sake of the learning process and increasing your odds for success. :)

I third, or fourth, getting a liquid test kit, reading up on the nitrogen cycle, and plugging your set up parameters into AqAdvisor to get a better idea of how to get things on the right track.

I'm still waiting out the first cycle and it's so hard to be patient, but it really is for the best. I can tell you don't like what you're hearing here, but everyone's just trying to steer you towards having healthy fish.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Great! So I can not keep even two little fish in 22 gallons.
I have given all my other fish to a friend who have got 5 tanks. I will take back few from them once I will have a larger tank.
Two fantails who are merely more than one inch can't survive for the time being in 22 gallons tank?
I don't consider two 10 inch long fantails to be little, but since you're the expert, okay. It doesn't matter how small the fish are now. I wouldn't place a human baby or a puppy in a shoebox just because "it's small now". Fish grow, and they grow very, very quickly. Sure, they'll be able to survive for a short amount of time, say, one month, in a 22 gallon tank if you change the water every day, which I doubt you will, as you're human and no one has the time or the memory to remember to do massive daily water changes. Two fantails will never be happy in such a small tank, and will face ammonia poisoning, stunted growth, organ failure, and various other diseases if kept for too long in the 22 gallon tank.

I think that the main problem with beginners is that they think they know everything because they sit at home and watch youtube and read wikipedia, which is apparently more valuable than decades of experience. And, because they know everything, they don't care to listen to the true fish experts, the people who have kept multiple tanks, both tropical and coldwater, saltwater and freshwater, for many years.

I'm not making a point to offend. I'm being blunt and giving you the facts.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
You as a self proclaimed beginner have the experience to know the difference between violent behavior and feeding behavior of a Plecostomous? I do, but thank you for your concern. i was trying to explain the violent tendencies of a Pleco but Obviously your getting advice from Youtube and dont want to heed the warning myself and others have given you so I will not waste anymore of my time. Good luck with your tank.
Lol
some things never change ,
And I guess my wife and I imagined seeing my sons pleco eat fry.
But that's impossable according to utube ! Lol
anyway
like Brian said good luck with your tank.