*( MISSING )* --> Wrasse

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I got a new Angler and a Blue head Wrasse on Saturday. So i acclimated them and when it was time to let them go the angler hid behind some live rock and the wrasse VANISHED. This is my first time having a wrasse and i am not totally sure what to think. It is now Tuesday and i still havent seen him. Can a Blue Head burrow into substrate. I also have a lot of live rock in that tank. A few big peice with little caves but they dont look large enough for the wrasse to hide in. I have no clue where it went. It is about 3 - 4 inches long. i have about 4 - 5 inches of substrate. Does anyone know how i can get him out if he is hiding i have put mysis into the tank also ghost shrimp for the Angler. PLEASE HELP

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you might be surprised how well some fish can hide...i thought i lost an eiblis angel somehow and i really didn't believe there were any crannies he could get into that i couldnt see into, but three or four days later out he popped. i would imagine he is just hiding out...assuming, that is, he didn't jump...i dont know about the burrowing thing...is it possible the angler ate him?

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I have fine crushed coral with large shells. He may have burrowed but the angler is too small to eat the wrasse at this point thats why i go him at that size. BOWDY and CARAMO those are my thoughts but i dont know. I look for him once a night but can't find him.

Something funny ---> the angle is killing my inverts one at a time. he got my crab last night. ( I put GHOST SHIMP in there for him but who knows)

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'm sure he didnt jump out -- I looked everywhere around the tank because that was my initial though. Hopefully ill see him soon. Does anyone know how long a wrasse can go with out eating?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i wouldnt worry about him starving, he is probably picking stuff off the LR for eating purposes...or he could be the one killing your inverts...have you actually seen the angler go after a crab? I have read that some wrasses will attack inverts

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
No i havent seen it but i was assuming because the crab was dead also.. i didnt think the wrasse would be able to get it because the crab is so small and can fit practically anywhere in the tank but that is a good point. i never thought about that. I just figured sense the Angler was so tricky that he got the crab. I guess that what i get for assuming right.

So everyone is clear the wrasse is (Thalassoma bifasciatum) <--- Bluehead wrasse and the Angler is (Antennarius Coccineus) <--- Scarlet Frogfish.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Don't worry about the wrasse. They will hide under sand and rubble. Don stur up the gravel looking for him...this will stress him out, right now he is just acclimating. Your wrasse will eat inverts.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
But the wrasse is more then 2x the size of the angler -- I did research befor i get my fish. but i DIDNT know that a wrasse would eat inverts. Does that go for all wrasse's? also any idea's of when i will see the wrasse? ---( ( Didnt see him last night neither ) )---

Sam, How long can a wrasse live being under gravel? do you think that he does come out but when i open the door or turn the lights on he hinds again?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if he is still in there alive, i wouldnt be surprised if he is hiding when the lights are on or when you are in the room. have you tried waiting till the tank lights are off and looking. if you sit still in front of the tank and give it a few minutes your eyes will adjust enough for you to see in the tank enough to recognize his outline swimming around

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
OK.... Last night i turn off all of the lights and sat in front of the fish tank. I felt really stupid but that is beside's the point. i didnt see him at all. I am starting the think i will never see him. but i was also thinking ( weird im actually thinking ) about getting another wrasse. probably a lunare wrasse. ( I really starting to like wrasse's by the way) and putting him in the same tank. Bluehead and lunare wrasse's will fight so if he is still is in the tank the lunare will draw him out. then i can seperate them into different tanks and have two. If not then i can still have the Lunare.

Good idea or Bad idea?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Wrasses from the same genus will fight. Everybody keeps saying the angler ate it. I'm am 85-90% sure he didnt. Usually with Anglers they will have part of the prey sticking outside of there mouth. This is especially true for a fish more then twice its size. My advice is to let the tank sit for a while. In a few days look in rocks and oter stuff for the wrasse-it might have died. If you cant find it I would go with a different fish. For two reasons, one if it did get eaten another wrasse wont solve the problem, and two when the wrasse gets bigger it may start to nip at the angler.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Makes sence to me... I actually took the angler out and put him into a different tank right now until hopefully the wrasse come's out but i dont think he is going to. I have been 9 days now and still NO SIGN of it.

So i do believe i will have to get a different fish next time i get things for my tank. Right now i wont be able to but when i figure out what i want ill post about it and see if anyone has objections.

Thanks Sam.