My marine experience

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just got my stand finished, which I built and the water in. Looks like my seals are holding and the stand is too. Here a couple pictures of what I have so far. I will post as I progress. I hope to get the equipment I need in the next week or so, then the live rock.

Attachments

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
If you look at IMG_02211.jpg, the middle brace broke while moving the tank around. I glued it back together with some epoxy, should I make a reinforced brace for it? When I initally filled the tank it really wanted to bow out. What do you think I should do?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
the 100-150 dollars spend on a new tank is well worth the elimination of the risk of having the tank bust when you have 500 dollars worth of live rock, 300 of fish and so on. And you dont want to ruin that nice bar thats comming along right (that is a bar correct?)

I would spring for the new tank

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
honestly it might, but having said that it really is not worth it to have it fail, when 55 gallons of water is on the floor and all of your fish are dead and your insurance company drops you, you will wish that you had spent the extra 100$ to get a new tank...did the brace break when you filled it up? might be able to exchange it from where you bought it. it is your choice, but I really think it would be a bad idea not to replace it. This from someone who has dealt with a tank breaking and dumping water everywhere.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I have seen quite a few tanks with the center braces cut, if your reinforcing it you probably wont have a problem but thats my opinion and its your house, money and decision.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm going to buy a syphon today so I can drain the tank and take a look. That would be awesome if I could exchange the tank. I already ordered the new top brace to the tank so hopefully I can get the old one off fairly easy and replace it with the new one.