My marine experience

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You should be able to as some bakpaks are sold with maxijets......not sure what size though.

Kevin you can and should add more sand to your bed. Even a 5 inch bed will need to be augumented as the sand will disolve in ph higher than 8 that is the beauty of carbonate based sand, it's buffering capacity and solubility to assist in mainting ph all this AND the denitrification of the dsb......beauty of nature at it's best

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
You can replace the 600 the 800 to beef it up a little. The both have the same size output tube. You can also increase its power by adding an airpump with a microbubble airstone and feeding the airline tube backwards through the chambers so that the the airstone is bubbling at the bottom of the first chamber.
I have the same skimmer set up this way (with the Rio 800) on my 90 Gallon and it does a great job.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am sure it mostly the shape and where it comes from off the reef (depth wise and how much life there is on it)

I don't think I would be paying much more for premium select as you are going to have die off from shipping regardless. Unless they are shipping it to you in water there will be some even with fully cured rock.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well I just order 45lbs of premiun fiji from liveaquaria for 90 bucks. It's been out of stock but just came available so I jumped on it. There is a 30 dollar difference between the premium and the select premium. I just wanted to know what difference I could expect. After reading about both there don't seem to be that much except the select is supposed to have be hand selected. All I care out is it has good life on it and it eventualyl gets some good color.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm going to be curing my rock in my tank which is uncycled. Do I have to fill the tank with all the 55 gallons? Or do I just need enough to cover the rock and if so by how much should I cover it. Also, right now I have 2 50 gallon instant ocean salt bags. I'm supposed to do weekly 50% water changes. How much salt should I need and how should I prepare it before use? I got 45lbs of rock and if I'm supposed to do 50% water changes in 55 gallons I don't know how I'm supposed to get all the salt mixed before hand. I have 2, 5 gallon buckets that I could use, but I'm just a little unsure on how to do it. I'm going to initially have the SW mixed up, but I don't know if I should mix up the full 55 gallons. How long should the salt be in the water before you test it.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
mixing water is tricky at first. You see in my 55g, sometimes i forget to put ro/di water + buffer to compensate the evaporation...resulting in higher salinity. Water evaporates, salt stays. Ok let's say i wanted a salinity of 1.024 but now my salinity in my tank raised to 1.026..well i have to put less salt than indicated. So if on a 5g bucket i usually put 2.5 cups of salt, i aim for less...like 2 cups. Good calibration is hard to get when you start, but eventually you'll know how it works and we all have to go trough this. Also, when i put less salt mix than usual in my new water in the bucket...the ph is lower than expected because there is less salt...the buffer power is weaker and my ro/di ( or plain ) water ph is around 7. While trying to maintain at 8.3-8.4, i must use a buffer ( mine is Reef Buffer by Seachem ) to achieve it.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I find that 2 full cups of salt in a nearly full 5 gallon bucket of water is just right amount to create a specific gravity of 1.024.

If you are replacing water you have removed, you will need to add salt.
If you are replacing evaporated water (top off), you will not need to add salt.

I've never cured LR myself so I can't comment on how much water you will need or how often you'll need to change it, but I'm told that the smell from the die off is horrendous and will permeate your whole house. You Mom is gonna kill you!! :p

Sorry to repeat what you just said Kahlua - I think we were posting at the same time. Cute avatar btw. It was time you got a new one. ;)

Joe, FYI there are some who frown upon double posting and especially triple posting. You can always go back to your post and edit it if you have something else you want to add. *thumbsups I'm forever doing that. I've editted this post 3 times now.

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm going to have to get that buffer stuff, i think... Is it just like a powder that I can put in my tank?

I'm triple posting? I think that may have happened when my interent went down and I clicked it a couple times. Sorry.

It's not so much my mom i'm worried about....It's my wife.

I've just added enough salt for about 40 gallons and filled my tank to 55 gallons. Since I'm not sure how much water I will have to take out once I put my LR in. From from I'm reading the more salt I add the lower the ph goes, right?

Last edited: