My marine experience

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well do your first batch, then check ph and salinity. Ok you have a 55g too. Today i lost half a gallon of water that needs to be replaced. Replaced with non salted water and the buffer. I put 1 teaspoon of the buffer to set my ph. I do it when the lights are off because there is a light ph drop during the night.
The buffer should be dissolved in your replacement water before you add it to the tank. I badly burned a coral last year with a bad mix.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It isn't the ph in your tap water that is the biggest concern it is phosphates which will cause horrendous algae blooms later on. You should go and buy ro/di water at the local grocery etc or water place like Culligan. You can buy the jugs and return them empty for credit after. (I had to get 15 when I filled my 75) mix the initial batch directly in your tank....after that water changes for curing purposes will be driven by the ammonia rates. Check daily for ammonia and change water to keep it down to reduce more die off.......when everthing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are zero you are cycled and ready for animal life......You should go down to Walmart and buy some large plastic tubs that you can mix water in and store it. I have a 15 gallon which works great for mixing water for my 75, my 20 I just use a 5 g bucket and do that once a week. The 75 is about once every 3 weeks.....as I have a good skimmer on that....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
How do you get that mixed SW back into your tank? Since my tank is going to be higher than the mixing tub. I have a tub I can use for mixing. I bought it for wine making then realized I couldn't use it. I also have 3, 5 gallon buckets. I think I could get my hands on a 10gallon, would that help?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
lol, yeah let me in on the secret too. Personally I lift buckets of 3 g many times over when I do my water changes.....helps to eliminate those saggy underarms that happen with age. A powerhead would work