Need an Algae ID

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Look at all this stuff, its all over my back wall, and I think these are the tiny things that are clouding up the water. WHAT THE _____ ARE THEY??!!!

:(

Oh and take a look at this orange dotty type algae thats a pain to get off.

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
You need the kits so you can test water parameters regularly yourself. Does your LFS use a reliable test or dip strips? You should know the condition of your water at all times. Most all SW woes can be traced to water quality or lack of homework concerning livestock. If you test and post your water condition in the beginning it is easier for others to help.

BTW, does your camera have a macro setting?

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Use a tripod and the macro setting. Reset your white balance to correspond to the light in your tank. If your camera has a timer, set it so you don't move while depressing the shutter release. This should give you crisp close-ups.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Cool. Do you guys know of anything other than granule type media to remove phosphates? I was thinking about some shaving bush plants. But I dont know how effective they are. And I really hate the idea of dosing anything into the tank if I dont have to.

Im pretty sure my algae bloom is due to high phosphates they were over .5 last time I got them checked. I really dont want to risk the phosban again. I cleaned out the tank tonight. Got rid of all the hair type algae. Put two of my frags in place. All seems to be good. I also put the stock sponge which i had cut in half back in the tank. Gonna take it out in a couple of days. Lets see if it helps clear up the tank a bit. I'll post some fresh pics tomorrow if theres a difference.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
The easiest way to avoid algae problems is to not get them in the first place. I think you need to work on getting a phosphate remover you're happy with, and try and work out what happened with the PhosBan. I use Rowaphos now and am very happy with it, I have used Al based phos removers in the past, and have not been happy with them as they are less effective, and also can have bad effects on softies.
The shaving brush plants, halimeda, are not too effective at removing organics and outcompeting microalgae and hair algae. Yourtank is too small to even think about growing some caulerpa or whatever intank. I tihnk you need to consider, RO water, a P remover, and purchasing a decent skimmer like the smaller remora. Most of the nanoskimmers are junk, a factor of physics, scale, and shabby design, construction. Sadly making a skimmer smaller does not make it much cheaper. You need some kind of clean up crew too.
I have never tested for strontium, and iodine is tough to test for as it changes so quickly. For phosphate get a Merck or Deltec test, the others are pretty poor. I also gave up trying to interpret Redox in saltwater aquaria - the only people I know using them are people injecting ozone. There are two many variables.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
How long has this tank been set up? only a short time right? All new tanks go through algae cycles and most can be expected. I think testing all your parameters and dilligently doing water changes weekly until you can get a skimmer are paramount. What biological demands are there in your tank ? fish? corals? etc...and what are your feeding habits. What powerheads do you have? These are all things that can contribute to water quality issues.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Thats just it lorna, I dont have anything really. I have a small CUC. 3 astrea 3 nassarius, 3 blue leg hermits. I have two frags of zoa. That i got from a reefer after my crash. Tank is 2.5 months now. I went thru the diatom bloom and stuff at the start. I used to feed my other frags rotifeast, couple of drops every week and a half.

When I had my clowns I would feed them once a day with some frozen mysis. So my question is if you were in my situation and had to spend on either the nano remora or a rodi unit which would be the first on your list?

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
I think I got my problem! I think its the mysis shrimp i feed! I fed a little bit today for my nassarius snails, and literally minutes after the tank got very very cloudy!! Could this be it? I feed very little maybe 1ml of shrimp a few chunks and a little bit of the "saltwater soup" that was in there from me dropping some drops in to help defrost.

Could this be my problem?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The soup as you call is it high in phosphates and nitrates.....thaw the mysis, then drain it and then add it. Though this small bit probably wouldn't do anything, though the bits might be particles of mysis......I wouldn't feed three nassarius snails......get a couple of small fish and let them eat the leftovers.

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
But it is adding to it.
Hair likes protein, which you are introducing with the liquid in your food. Always thaw and drain frozen foods. Green hair likes Protein, Phosphate, Low Current and certain spectrums of Light.
By allowing the liquid to stay in the food you are introducing a protein source that will not be used by your livestock. A skimmer will help remove excess proteins and other particulates from your water column.

ps it's flake food and other foods that contain seaweed or algaes that are notorious for contributing to phosphate problems.
I still suggest water changes, phosphate magnet and a skimmer.

Last edited: