new 75 gallon reef setup

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
20g should work nice for the sump Melevsreef.com - DIY Glass Sump & Refugium is always a goos referance when putting a sump together ;) what skimmer u guna go with?
Not sure for the skimmer what's a good one for this tank?

I lucked out and am buying a month old 1250 gph Blueline pump and the guy is throwing in the 20 gallon acrylic sump with it. This weekend I'm going to fill it up with RO and make sure everything is sound and run the sump. I have 40 lbs of ultra premium live rock waiting for me and at guys house I buy aquarium stuff from. Another 20 lbs of rock from one of my Aquapods. I'll probably put about 20 lbs of lace rock or something in there to on top of white sand. It's going to look great.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Got a chance to buy a new Coralife 125 gallon skimmer for $90 with a new Rio 900 pump. Any opinions on it? I got the Blueline pump and sump. Acrylic sump looks to be about 25 gallons. Has a baffle where the bulk head is for the Blueline pump but nothing else. I'm thinking I'd want to put bubble trap baffles in after where the skimmer is going. Not sure what I'm doing for a refug. Maybe one on top of tank I have room under the hood for a small one and have it slow flow and gravity drain back into tank.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
aquaC, ASM, even octopus are all good brand names and id seriously say coralife as a last resort.... than again your not guna get much in that price range! u may wanna check reefcentral in the selling section ;)

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read decent threads on coralife, but there are definitely better skimmers out there. Like TRe said, AquaC, ASM, EuroReef to name a few. I 2nd the selling/buying thread on reefcentral. Don't forget to check the selling thread on MTF too!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I've got a used Aqua C Urchin skimmer that I will sell to you for $90 shipped. I was going to knock the price down to $80 so that will be with shipping, if you are interested. I bought it used for my tank and never got a chance to set it up, and now I've decided not to do saltwater. Let me know.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
ill keep my eye open on RC for ya! what your price range? $100-$150?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

I've got a used Aqua C Urchin skimmer that I will sell to you for $90 shipped. I was going to knock the price down to $80 so that will be with shipping, if you are interested. I bought it used for my tank and never got a chance to set it up, and now I've decided not to do saltwater. Let me know.
Not sure that will be enough skimmer. I'll probably have the tanked fairly stocked.

Any opinions on the ASM G-1 100 1 - Sedra 2500 pump? $150 new in box seems like a pretty good price.

Friend of mine wants another 125 gallon tank for freshwater so we may end up going in on a tank selling locally so I can grab sand, live rock, sump, and skimmer in one shot and he can have the tank and stand.

How about power head recommendations? I have the Tsunami wave maker that I'll be hooking 3 power heads up to. I have read that Koralia powerheads don't survive long on a wave maker.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree the urchin wont be quite enough unless its the pro.... if your considering buying sand from some one elses tank forget about it! its not worth all the nutrient that will come along (nitrates/phosphates) start new with the sand always and it doesnt have to be live actually IMO its not worth the extra$ to get it live when itll become live within a month or so.... as far as powerheads id get a couple of maxijets and get the sureflow mods and youll be set (poor man's tunzes :p ) oh and thats not bad price for a new G-1 but u can find a used G-2 for that price all day long on RC!

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Installed the RO/DI system last weekend and realized 100 gpd isn't that much when you are filling a 75 gallon tank. After 3 days I got the tank filled with water and salt in it. Was planning on working on the sump this weekend to get it running and now I have to go work in St Louis for 2 weeks starting Friday so that's going to delay everything. Hustling to get some live rock in the tank, a couple damsels, and maybe a cheap Remora C HOB skimmer off Craigslist to throw on their temporarily and let the tank cycle for a couple weeks while I'm away.

THis is gonna be a cool build, ill have to watch this one. Glad to see your looking for advice before you buy instead of the other way around. IMO i would go ahead and drill it. I know it sounds daunting and scary, but i think it is highly worth it. Get a diamond bit for a drill for the size bulkbhead you want, and your baically set. I bought a new 40 and was like no way am i gonna drill it.

But then i did and i think its the best thing besides a skimmer and MH for my tank. Its very easy to do, just a garden hose and a helper. You could easily install a flat corner overflow. Im assuming your a mechanically inclined kind of person as you ride quads, so this should be easy for you. But do what you want, its your tank, just my .02. Good luck!

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
no need to cycle the tank with damsels actually thats a terrible idea! the live rock alone will be more than enough to cycle the tank and nobody has to suffer and u dont have to worry about getting them out later on ;) not to mention if u absolutly have to have damsels they should be last added since they gey so territorial

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
The damsels are in my 2nd aquapod and I'm tired of them in there. Wife had to have them hehe. Picking up a Remora Pro today so that'll work until I get time to do the sump. As for drilling too late. Tank is filled and has salt in it now.