new 75 gallon reef setup

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
take yur time! :p seriously tho when u rush things together IME 9 times outa 10 youll be redoing them the way you wish u had done them in the first place

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I have a reef set up now in the tank. A local guy that has 12 reef tanks in his house was fortunately taking down one of his tanks to sell and amazingly sold me about 70 lbs of live rock that has been running in a tank/sump for a few years for a measly $40. Along with a couple cups of sand from the tank to seed my sand with. I figured if I paid $100 I was getting a real good deal.

Last edited:

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Tank cycled quickly with that rock that had been running from the other tank. I have around 75 lbs of rock in it. Came back from 5 days in St Louis and Ammonia/Nitrite are 0. And there's some diatom growing. So looking good. About to go back to St. Louis till the end of next week I'll post pics of tank when I get back.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I've been in St. Louis for 12 days. Wife kept up with DI water top offs and stuff but never cleaned the glass. I only had 2 large snails and a couple hermits in the tank. Lots of green algae growing now. Going to go put a proper CUC in now.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Yeah I think it's just the age of the tank and the fact I was gone and couldn't stay up on it. Otherwise the snails would have been in earlier. I think I'll put about 10 Ceriths in there today as well. Those black turbos are good they eat algae like crazy off the rocks and glass.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
nice score for 15.00! Hows the algae comming?
The black Turbos have done a good job cleaning up the rocks and glass. Still have some brown growing on the substrate but not as much. A good vacuum and water change this weekend and the diatoms should be on their way out I'm hoping.

Love walking into an LFS and finding a nice coral for a low price. This area must be popular for reef there's 5 reef stores within 10 miles of my house. Always a deal to be found at one of them. Looking at the maze corals though I don't think that is one. Some other kind of closed brain.

Last edited: