New Nitrite Level ?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
ok.. i have been changing the water daily.. at least 50% sometimes 75%. i treat the water prior to adding it.. the water is at temperature.. now for the last two days the nitrites have been spiking up to 2.0 after the water change and 5.0 prior to change. i have been having it go to 0.0 after water changes.. why is it now only coming down to 2.0? is this normal? don't know what to do other than water changes daily.. now the nitrates are at 20 and the ammonia is at 0.0 and has been now for almost 2 weeks. help

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's pretty normal for nitrites to stay high for a couple of weeks. Once it does start to drop, it usually drops pretty fast to zero.

Perhaps you're not testing as accurately as you were, or perhaps not rinsing the test tubes well enough each time.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Dwarf, you're still cycling. Sorry!

I know it hurts. I keep testing my 2G waiting for it to be safe for the frogs. It's taking forever and I feel your pain.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i just want my fish to be ok... i know that i should of taken them back at the beginning.. but i am stubborn.. i guess my wife is right about that!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Just keep up the water changes! The end is in sight. And make sure you keep an eye on your fish for any signs of gasping. Nitrite poisoning interfers with their ability to absorb oxygen properly. IIRC you're using a water conditioner that helps detox nitrite aren't you?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Prime and apparently AmQuest detox nitrites, you might want to peek on your Aqua Safe and see if it does as well. If not look at picking up a small bottle of prime and using that until the Nitrites are gone?

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Here's the thing: you really need to be doing more, and bigger water changes. If your nitrite levels were really that high, I would suspect your fish would be dead by now, but still, don't STOP doing water changes until your levels are way down. Don't just do a water change and be happy no matter what the results are.

Good luck.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Dwarf, I've so been there. And cchase is right. Just keep changing out that water every single day and keep an eye on your fish for signs of stress! The end is in sight. You might want to check your nitrates and see how they're coming along too.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i have been checking the nitrates.. they have been around 20. i use a api master kit.. add 5 drops of the nitrite test and invert the tube without my finger on the top and wait 5 min.. the water inside is the darkest purple, matches the card. i have been doing a 50% water change everyday now for over a week.. i tested the water prior to adding it to the tank and there was no nitrites.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
Prime and apparently AmQuest detox nitrites, you might want to peek on your Aqua Safe and see if it does as well. If not look at picking up a small bottle of prime and using that until the Nitrites are gone?
will these two products help the tank cycle faster? or do they just neutralize the nitrites and make them ok to the fish until it cycles?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You can go to a local fish store and see if they'll give you a handful of their cycled gravel to help the cycle. This does seem a bit odd as the nitrites are so high and have been for a few weeks. Are you sure you are completely treating the water before adding it to your tank? Have you compared your results with another test kit?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
no.. i haven't compared.. but i know that if i test the water immediately after i change the water (about 30min after) it is down considerably.. but by the next day.. back up. this tank has been cycling now for 5weeks or maybe just over..

i might check and see if they can give me some of the gravel.

i did just do a 90% water change.. i didn't siphon the gravel.. just took the water out of the middle. after that change the nitrites were 0

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I remember when I cycled my 10G with fish I had nitrites for about 6 weeks but I used the prime and my fish didn't seem to notice in the least.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I am going to go out tomorrow and buy some of that. I know that after about an hr or so the nitrites were still at 0.. but I am going to go and test it again and I will post them here in a little bit..