New Nitrite Level ?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I will have to stop and get more gravel tomorrow. I would have thought that this tank would have cycled by now.. it has been almost 6 weeks. I have a undergravel filter with a powerhead on it.. I also have a marineland 350 bio wheel running. now I did change out the filter about 2 weeks ago to the 350. I had a bio wheel 150. but my LFS said that it shouldn't have that big of an impact on the cycle because of the undergravel filter at work. Most of the good bacteria is supposed to be in the gravel in the first place right? I don't siphon the gravel when I do water changes

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I would still syphon it. The food and poop on the bottom adds to the bio load which makes more ammonia which makes more nitrites.

And the bacteria are so small I don't think they get sucked up too much. Just do 1/4 to 1/2 the tank a week.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If you're doing it with ammonia.

When I cycled with fish I still syphoned cause I figure the idea is to keep the bioload as light as possible. And bacteria are so tiny you can't suck them all up with the syphon IMO. Others might say differant.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I spoke with my LFS today and I am going back to get more gravel. But they said to not change the water every day.. they told me to do it about every 4 days. even though I am I am not siphoning the gravel I am still removing some of the nitrifying bacteria. He said until my biological filter starts kicking in to even out the bio load the nitrites will be elevated.. but if I see the fish start to swim at the top and look like they are gasping for air.. change the water

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Hmmm...I don't know how I feel about what he said. True, that unless they are at the top gasping for oxygen they are probably ok. But I always went by what my water parameters say. I don't want mine to get to the point of having to fight for oxygen. Know what I mean? Cuz that means stress and stess means potential for disease. If the nitrites start getting to about .5 to .8 then I do a small water change. Even if that means once a day or every 3 days. Most of your good bacteria is going to be on deco surfaces, in your gravel (I did siphon mine occasionally when it got bad), in your filters. I wouldn't change the filter until cycle is complete. But, with all that said, everyone has an opinion on how to do it. I'm sure someone would disagree with me. Just do what feels right for the health of your fish.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Wait a minute, you changed out your filter media? That could very well be the cause of your cycling issues. Also, undergravel filters are worthless, IMO. There could be something under it rotting that is causing water quality issues. They really do no "filtering" at all, just trap junk below it. I would take it out.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
see.. so many people say that an ug filter is worthless.. and others swear by them.. that is why I have both.. ug and hob. I was told that an ug filter is not good by itself especially if you aren't running a powerhead. so I put a powerhead on mine. I was told that an ug filter doesn't get as cruddy under there when you use a second hob filter with good flow. sometimes this can be way to overwhelming

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I think ug's are a little outdated. I personally don't use one. I think it was d3 said he decided to remove his or check under it and it was horrible. Using it with your HOB isn't a bad idea though. I wouldn't use it alone. They still sell them so someone is using them!

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I had one in my 55 when I started it up. My son tried to destroy my tank, so I had to remove everything, and start it over. When I pulled the plates of the UG filter out, it was straight BLACK under there!!! and I had my filter PLUS a powerhead running on it. Even with all that it was straight NASTY!!! PLEASE, take it out!

Wait a minute, you changed out your filter media? That could very well be the cause of your cycling issues. Also, undergravel filters are worthless, IMO. There could be something under it rotting that is causing water quality issues. They really do no "filtering" at all, just trap junk below it. I would take it out.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I have one in my 2G for the frogs and I'm not thrilled with it but it's the only thing that really fits in the tank and yet allows me to cover it completely (cause the froggies are really jumpers, they've already hopped out of the net once when I was moving them to clean!).

I'm likely going to have to take it apart and clean it almost completely at least once a month though cause of it.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
...eh

Your fish will enjoy it. They will play in the stream. Just make sure you have some dead space from water flow in the tank still. You want them to be able to take a break, and somewhere for the ones who dont want to play, to be able to go.