New Nitrite Level ?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
ok... it has been over 4hrs since huge water change and the nitrite level is only at .25 I would say that is a definate improvement.. by this time last night and the night before it would already have been maxed out!:confused:

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
UPDATE! this morning I went to my LFS and picked up a bottle of Prime. I also got them to give me 3 lbs of substrate to help my cycle along. I came home and got the water ready by adding the Aquasafe and Prime to the water and let it sit for about half hr. I put the chemicals in before I put the water in the container so that they would mix properly. I drained about 80% of the water and mixed in the new gravel. I didn't just put it on top. I placed my decor back in and refilled the tank. I also put my new second heater in while it was drained. about an hr after the water change.. the test results=
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrates 5.0

what do you guys think?

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I've been thinking you were a woman all this time til you mentioned a wife... Sorry
That was a HUGE spike. Mine never went that high. Maybe cuz you have more fish than I did with fish in cycling? Anyway, sounds like you're there. I'd keep testing every day for a few days just to make sure. yay! Cycling is so aggravating. Hopefully u r done.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The gravel will help for sure, but still it will take some time. Keep up the good work. I'm surprised the gravel hasn't helped more, was this gravel well established at the store?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I tested the water when I got home today and it will still above 2.0. I did a 50% water change and used Prime prior to the change.. the reading about an hr after is still 2.0 or just a little over. I don't know what else to do other than the water changes. the ammonia has been gone now for weeks and the nitrites have been spiking now for almost 2 weeks. and my nitrates have been holding steady around 20

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would get more gravel, make sure it's from a really well established tank. I would also confirm your test results at the LFS to make sure your test kit isn't off. It isn't rare to have nitrites for so long, but with the gravel I would have thought the levels would have gone down a bit.