New tank test results

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
Hello. I recently got my aquarium up and running. I don't know alot about them, but I love it. I have it heavily planted with live plants. It is a 29 gal long tank with a wisper top filter and I have a undergravel filter as well with a penguin 170gph powerhead. I have a wisper air pump with air stone for airation. I put the water in the tank about 3 weeks ago and used the aqua safe to take out the minerals. After a week of having the water in it I added 5 fish and a few days later i added about 5 more. I had 5 mini crabs in there also. 2 of the fish died within a day of putting them in (also there were from petsmart, learned my lesson there). within the last 24hrs 4 of the mini crabs have died. 3 of them had missing limbs. I purchased a api master water test kit. I tested the water last night. the ammonia was at 8.0. I changed out about 7 gallons from the middle of the water, not of the bottom as to not disturb possible biological bacteria. this morning I tested again and here are the results. Could someone tell me if they are normal for the amount of time my tank has been established? If I need to do anything?

nitrite 5.0
nitrate 5.0
ammonia 4.0
ph 7.6
high range ph 8.0

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Wow, your tank is cycling. Thats why your stock is dying. Nitrite and ammonia need to be at 0. Both of these are poisons to your stock. Read Here for what you need to do to try and save some of your stock.

For future information sake. Just because you add water, and let it sit in there...that dosent establish a tank.

However! Good job on treating the water first! Thats another very important part

Edit: What was the other fish you put in there?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ditto, your test levels are highly toxic for your fish and that is why they are dying. If you don't do a massive water change (possibly will need to do more than one), all of your fish will likely die within the next couple days. Ammonia is highly toxic and needs to be at 0. Same with nitrite. Nitrate should be below 20. Since your tank is cycling and you've elected to add fish to it, be prepared to do large water change, likely once a day with all the fish you have in there, for the next few weeks.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
first 5 were 2 red sword tails (1 male 1 female) 1 black molly, 1 white lyretail molly, and a tetra (not sure of the name, it is brownish with black tips on fins). I added a few days later 3 dwarf gourami's, 2 red platys, and 1 yellow molly. now none of the fish have died in almost 2 weeks now, i have done a few water changes. i have 12 gallons that i keep filled and at room temp. i also put a few drops of the aqua safe when i fill them. should i do another water change today too? do i need to heat the water first?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
oh.. and i know that just adding water to the tank and turning it on doesn't establish the tank. i knew that i needed to add fish for it to cycle. do you guys think that i have overkill on filters?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
The water should be as close to the tanks temp. as you can get it. YES do a large water change today, at least 50% of your tanks water should come out. Make sure to read the directions on your water treatment. I does not sound to me like a few drops is enough to treat 12 gallons

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
well.. i am down to 2 gourami's.. that is one of them that died. also i am putting the aquasafe in the tank as well after i add the water. it says 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. i forgot to add that i have blackwater extract in the tank as well. i also put in a bag of ammonia remover. the little rocks in the mesh bag.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i just changed out over half of the water. i will let it run for about a half hr and retest it. i will post the results. thanks again. this is a great forum too btw!

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I know I'm going to stir up some trouble here but u don't have to take the fish back. They are contributing the ammonia needed to cycle the tank. BUT, with that being said, they are being stressed (and also why they are dying) and that's why most prefer fishless cycling. If you choose to keep the fish I would recommend testing your water every day and doing water changes according to the readings you get. Keep the ammonia down to about .25 and the nitrites under .5 until the nitrates take over and get the first 2 down to
0. Be aware this is alot of work, requiring lots of water changes and it will take your tank longer to cycle.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Roark makes a valid point. There are many points of view on the situation at hand. If you return the fish, you will have to manually finish your cycle. If you keep them, they will be very stressed until the cycle finishes. It's really up to you.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
well the good thing is that i work early in the morning until early afternoon so i have the time to do this. so i think that i am going to try to keep the fish in the tank until it finishes. i will just have to do the water changes daily.

i will update this thread with the new test results in a little while.