Newbie here! Please help me put together a 75G SW setup!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The vast majority of people would put them somewhere between junk and an active waste of money. The bakpak is decent, but a bit small. The jury is out on the coralife, but they seem to be getting decent reviews.

I can't believe it's taken this long for a decent budget skimmer to appear.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
that looks like a reall good skimmer, and I was surprised to see that price with the pump included. Either or should work IMO. But the aqua c is rated UP to 75, the coralife is up to 125, so just something to consider

Oct 29, 2005
Alright guys..thnk you all for your input...this is basically where I stand...i am about to ready to buy these items so please give input before I do so (about 90% of through Big Als- thanks for the reference!)

- 2 Penguin Powerheads 1140 (300 GPh)
- 1 Zoomed Powersweep 228 (270 GPH-do i need the $3.99 prefilter?)
- Aquaclear 70 Powerfilter
- Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel-125 Gallon
- 300W Rena Cal Subm heater
- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit (the 4 basic tests)
- Hydrometer/thermo
- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter Deioner (i don't trust the water around here and its pretty cheap)
- DFS Select Fiji Premium Rock - 45 lb. Box (thnx for the link from earlier!)
- Sand- still havent figures that out yet
-Lighting- Not sure either. I will be houseing Fish, LR, and maybe a few small inverts only so what I should do about lighting. I current have 2 standard overheads that have a UV l;ighting for my turtles. Should I switch or is that ok? Will that gorw lots of algae (cuz now, i have NONE)..
- Salt- Coralife Salt Mix 150 Gallon or Instant Ocean 160 Gallon Salt Mix Bucket: similar price. Any suggestions?

If I've forgotten anything, please lemme know. Please comment on any of the above. Thnx!!

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
-no on the prefilter, unless you want mechanical filtration, but i dont think you need it.

the aquaclear powerfilter: are you getting this for added water movement or are you going to be running media?

It should be fine on the lighting since you wont be housing any corals.

Oct 29, 2005
On the aquaclear, i was gonna use it for movement and potentially with media since I wont have enough LR to satisfy complete filtration of the tank. Any recommendations as to what kinda media I should use or NOT use? thnx

And with the prefilter, this is what it says "Add a pre-filter to your power sweep powerhead and stop small items from plugging it."
Thats why i was thinking of getting cuz I dont want something to get in and mess it up. What do u think?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think youll be ok without the prefilter, I run my plain and there fine.

as for media, I recently just started running mine with a PuraPad to help with a cyano problem. You could try running that or just the empty HOB, either way

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well more live rock would be very good for your tank, but 45 should sustain you in the beggining, Ive heard that alot of people tend to "over rock" their tanks and that you dont need as much as you think. I would suggest getting the 45, and then over time add more in small amounts (from your lfs) to build it up.

Oct 29, 2005
ok cool...thnx alot...so did everything else look good on my list of items to get then?

Oh, and since I'm going to start w/ these 45lbs of LR, do I need new lighting? If so, please recommended...

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would possibly spend a bit more money on two of the small Seio pumps rather than the three powerheads.
Lighting wise - I guess you have 2 fluorescent strips - I'd put in 2 tubes rated 10K or 14K, or one of either. The LR doesn't really need any lighting, and this level of lighting should be just fine for the growth of coralline algae

Oct 29, 2005
Wayne, why would you rather go for the two pumps rather than three? My intentions were to have the two penuins on two corners blowing into the LR and meeting in the middle, and have the powersweep in the back center sweeping into the back. Are the 3 I was looking at not good enough or too much? Are are those 2 pumps you mentioned just better? Could I just replace the zoomed powersweep with a Seio?

And as far as the lighting would 2 of those Coralife or Zoomed 50/50 (6500K & actinic 420 phosphor) work or should I get the straight 10,000K? (they are the same price)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Well, I wont be dealing with any corals..only LR...but I will take up the suggestion as the seio seems to be quite a bit more stronger than the powersweep...

And as far as the lighting would 2 of those Coralife or Zoomed 50/50 (6500K & actinic 420 phosphor) work or should I get 2 straight 10,000K? (they are the same price)

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Normal powerheads squirt out a thin, high velocity jet of water, the seio's and tunzes pump out a wider, lower velocity jet of water, and take it from me there's a difference in spread and how effective the flow feels when you're a few feet away.
One of the typical surprises people get when they retrofit tunzes is that all of a sudden a ton of debris gets kicked off the liverock, and placed into suspension. This soon clears out, and is a good thing, as debris settling on your liverock is very, very bad for algae formation.

Oct 29, 2005
cool..i will change zoomed to the seio...unfortunately, i read your bit of advice AFTER I placed my order for the other 2 penguin powerheads cuz Petsmart.com had a deal where they take off 15% until Oct. 31. The zoomed, however, I was going toorderfrom somewhere else so I can at least switch that one.