Pearl Gourami

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
First off, that is one persons opinion, not stated fact. Second of all most of the post was in reguards to someone making a community tank out of a 2g tank, which is just insane.

Our betta is 1 inch in a 1gallon tank, it gets weekly water changes,is very happy and has plenty of room to swim.

You have somewhere between 40 -47 inches of fish in a 20gallon tank, so who has more room?

Many people have opinions on how bettas should be kept, and while it would be great for every betta to have it's own 10 gallon tank, I hardly think many will say a betta in a 1g is cruel. People putting 2 bettas in a 10g is far worse than 1 in a 1g.

Last edited:

MarkRW89

Large Fish
Aug 8, 2003
West Midlands, UK
Visit site
OK time to convince people my tank isnt a death or torture chamber.

Firstly i am working in UK GALLONS=4.55 litres while US GALLONS=3.79 litres. So my tank is about 92 litres instead of 76.

I know my tank is heavily stocked and certainly wont get any more fish-and I may give my krib to the local store when it gets larger.

Also dont put too much faith in the 1 inch per US gallon rule-my 1"neon is certainly not the same MASS as 1 inch of oscar.

My plec, neon and pearl have been around for years-my plec has been a resident for 5 years.

I have read on this site that air breathers only need half the space as other fish in relation to air requirements-but of cause nitrates are a different story.

My tank has been mature for many years now so the nitrogen cycle is running smoothly (excluding water changes) and I have two internal filters and plenty of plants.

Also you slightly overestimated the lengths of some of my fish while you said your betta was 1 INCH-same as my neon. By the way it is quaggar who reccommends at least 5 gallon for a single betta-he was putting me straight!!

Thinking another way all my fish are small in relation to my tank so they are not really cramped and they do tolerate each other-which is why the krib may have to go.

And larger tanks do have more of a bufferingcapability in relation to nitrates, temp and O2. Plus I do pretty regular water changes (weekly).

Yes my tank certainly doesnt conform to normal stocking rules and I would NEVER recommend a beginner do as I do and my fish certainly would be better of less well stocked but the water conditions are stable and fish are healthy (aside from occasionally problems which many people have). Guess with so many fish to choose from I gave into weakness and tried to get as many as I could.