Rate my 29G Planted...

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
When you are ready, let me know, and I can walk you through the process. But til then, look around at several plants to get an idea of what you like. It also depends on how much work you want to put into it to. Do you want a low light and easy to maintain, or higher light and CO2 injected? Mine are all high light, with CO2. And don't be afraid of trying CO2. It's pretty easy, and there are ways to keep costs down some. In this tank above, I have a 10lb bottle of CO2 going through my regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and bubble counter, and on to an airstone, which I have below the intakes of my XP2 filter and a Maxijet 600 powerhead. The CO2 that goes to the filter get's dissolved, and the CO2 that goes to the powerhead gets shot around the tank as a CO2 mist. Mist is much more effective than CO2 being dissolved. And since going to this method, I no longer have all the algae problems that I was plagued with in the past. And the BGA I had recently is now almost gone, since the start of using the CO mist.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
What do you think of my new crypts? They are Crypt Beckettii. They are the brownish-colored plants on the left. They are a mid-ground plant, and get's way too big for a 10G. They will eventually reach the surface of my 29G. I know of someone who has some that have surfaced in a 25G tank.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Lonewolfblue,

Just read through this thread, and your tank looks great in all the pics. I really like the background as well. And, of course, I love all the tetra pics too (I've got bleeding hearts as well, along with serpaes, and some black phantom ones that I'll post more pics on soon in one of my threads ;) ).

I love the pics of the fish swimming in and amongst the plants...they must be so happy in there!

Please post more pics!

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Mahamotorworks said:
Come to the Light side, Big Vine, Start a planted Tank. You know you want to.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA (Evil Laugh)

MAHA
LMAO!!!

Okay, you win. I shall join the dark...I mean, light...side! :p
In the interests of not hijacking Lonewolfblue's thread here, I will explain further in a thread of my own, so keep your eyes open for it.

Big Vine

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
silver dollars said:
Im ready, i am thinking on what plants will be good for discus?
Swords, crypts, anubias are best in my opinion. Can add a few stem plants as well.

James From Cali said:
OMG I absolutley love this tank. I totally need this to be my bettas tank lol. Whats the wattage on your tank? I am planning on a dense low light/maintnence planted tank any suggestions?
130W CF, full CO2 mist system (Cheap way of adding pressurized CO2).
For low light tanks, I highly recommend anubias and crypts. A friend has a 100% crypt tank that is totally awsome, and he's got less than 1w/g.

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Ok, now can anyone tell me how fast the maximum growth rate is for plants? hmmmmmm?????

Well, after learning so much from Tom Barr, and getting my tanks at their peak levels (but not at the max peak), that exact question was brought up by Tom himself in another forum to get everyone thinking. It made me think as well. When you have very healthy plants and healthy conditions, what is the maximum plant rate of growth? Well, after making changes to my routine, it's faster than you think. And I'm sure Tom would back that statement up, lol. Here's just a small glimpse into that arena. You see the sword on the right side of my tank? Beautiful, heh? I got that plant less than 4 months ago, and it was about 6 or 7 inches tall, and 5 leaves. Now, less than 4 months later, it's not only surfaced, but I count 32 leaves. Now, is that fast growth or what? There's about 7 leaves at the surface as well.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, I have some new pics for my 29G. I'm thinking of getting rid of the E. Tiandra, as it's not growing like I want it to anymore. It's growing up instead of spreading out, lol. If I get enough HC in my 10G, I may move some to my 29G and use it instead. I'm kind of liking it better. Here's the new pics.....