Reading liquid test values

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Thank you for calling Thyra! :)

You guys are cracking me up.:D
oh and i hope your son enjoys the tank. lol
my son started my fish adventures as well, funny how that works.
what are you getting for your next tank ? lol its gonna happen, resistance is futile ! lol

Feb 27, 2009
With the nitrate test it is so difficult between 40 & 80ppm but it does help to go outside with it - the natural light is better and there are less shadows.
I agree that 20, 40 & 80 are very close and hard to tell.

If it looks 20 or worse, I do a water change, and retest 24 hrs later. That hasn't happened in a long time, but it does if I've uprooted and replanted a tank. Otherwise, I do water changes every two weeks regardless of readings and more often than not, have to ADD a source of nitrogen.

Gotta love plants! I have too many! Most tanks look like jungles!

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
oh and i hope your son enjoys the tank. lol
my son started my fish adventures as well, funny how that works.
what are you getting for your next tank ? lol its gonna happen, resistance is futile ! lol
No kidding! I started talking about it like two weeks into cycling this first one.
And then I made the mistake of looking at Aquarium Design Group.
And now I'm pretty much ruined I think.

I think next up is a 75 or 90 of malawis. We have crazy hard water here, so I figure I should travel the path of least resistance. Some day I'd really like a big ol discus tank, but I'd hate to screw that up from inexperience, so that's my longer term goal I guess.

My son's tank is not planted, and I'd like to cross over that threshold for sure. Hopefully he'll be open to that sooner than later, because I know I'm not planting a cichlid tank! Right now it's pirate ships and skulls... he's only 5 once, right?

Thanks to everyone for all the input here. It definitely helped my testing confidence. *thumbsups

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
In reference to planting your tank fisherjean...I have word from my mollies. They tell me anacharis is deelishus, and grows faster than they can eat it. I need to trim it back my glofish tank and I've only had it a week or two.