shark ok in 120 gallon?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im planning on getting a 120 gallon tank in the future and was wondering if there is any kind of shark that would be ok in a 120 gallon?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
why do they sell sharks at the lfs??? like bandded cat sharks and stuff?? are there not any smaller typre of sharks?? i just read online that bandded cat sharks are ok in a 180 gallon

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok how abouth sting rays??? i saw a really nice looking blue spotted sting ray at one of the lfs's.. how big of a tank does this guy need?? and what type of tank mates are ok??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
TRe said:
why do they sell sharks at the lfs??? like bandded cat sharks and stuff??
because irresponsible people will buy them

sharks are not well suited to aquariums of any manageable size (not to mention the costs of keeping these animals are more than prohibitive) plus they need rounded walls to prevent damaging themselves as they swim (hitting corners and whatnot).

why the hell would you want to buy something so you can see it sit on the bottom of the tank in which it cannot even turn around? its like putting you in a closet and saying, "well, you fit...ill toss you a steak every couple days" its not going to meet your needs at all...

stingrays are just the same (furthermore, they are venemous and I know you will end up maiming yourself)...

if you had any regard for the well being of the animals you intend to keep you would see how ridiculous it is to even consider any of this

why not just satisfy the needs of the fish you already have when you get the new tank and dedicate yourself to improving their lives and creating a healthy happy environment for them

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
i didn't even know marine rays were on the market.

There are freshwater species that can be housed in home aquariums. Minimal size for a growout tank is 75 gallons, minimal 120 for full adult size. They need extra wide walls and if you can get a shallow tank, the better. Longer and more wide is the issue rather than tall.

One day, I plan on keeping a single freshwater ray. I'd like a 260 gallon tank, but most likely I'll have to make do with a 140. (I plan on buying a double-wide mobile home in the near future, and I'm not sure if those floors can handle 2,800 pounds of pressure).

I don't know anything about marine rays, but there's an excellent book about the care of freshwater rays called "freshwater singrays" by richard ross.

I've been researching these guys ever since I journeyed back into the fish hobby last August, and only now do I think I'd be ready to care for them. Unfortunately, my appartment is too small, and I have enough tanks as it is.

Anyway, read up on everything before you make a move, and use good judgment.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
1979camaro said:
stingrays are just the same (furthermore, they are venemous and I know you will end up maiming yourself)...
lmfao

What I dont get is why you wouldnt move the fish that are too big for the tanks they are in now, and put them in a tank wheir they would be so much better. AND THEN have two tanks you can fully stock correctly and have them already to go!!!! I JUST DONT GET IT!!! :confused:

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
aresgod said:
TRe i have one thing to say about this post

Don't Be Stupid
-Paul Teutul Sr.
Well Said *SUPERSMILE

I love how TRe still doesnt take the advice of you guys who know so much about Salt and just doesnt listen to what will work best from people who know it will... DO as you wish but dont be surprised when everything comes back to bite you in the a$$