Shipped fish?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I posted this in my journal but I don't think it will get the views there like it will here.

I got my apistos in the mail today but I had to leave right after I got them so I haven't had a chance to do anything with them though. I am very concerned though because they seemed to both be dead. I'm not sure if maybe they put something in the water to kinda make them sleep during the shipping or anything like that or if they are actually dead. They weren't like belly up or anything but they were just kinda floating around in the bag and didn't seem to be any movement from them or through there gills either. :(

Any info on this issue would be great because I'm worried that they are dead.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Oh no!!

I know fish can look 'dead' and actually be okay when they're really stressed. My poor pygmy cories were so still when I got them home that I put them in an empty betta bowl and put a little cave in it and aclimatized them that way slowly adding water from their main tank in a dark room instead of floating the bag (I was worried they weren't getting enough air in the bag) and they slowly perked up.

Those poor little guys have been in that little baggy for a while. They're probably stressed and scared as hell. Be very gentle with them when you aclimatize them. You might want to try the seperate bowl method, it takes a lot longer but is much gentler on the fish I find. Then when they start moving on their own power you can move them over to your main tank?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I plan on slowly drip acclimating them in a bucket and I hope that they are just kinda in shock from the shipping or something and not dead because I would be so disappointed if the are dead.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I suspect thats most likely the case and the slow drip will help a lot, make sure you keep the lights down low too! Bright light after being in the dark so long will stun and stress them.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I suspect that they are dead but I only had about 30 seconds to look at them because I was running late as it was so I didn't get to look at them too closely. I will have to update when I get home in about 2 hours.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Just FYI, most people that ship fish require proof of DOA within 2 hours of delivery in order for you to get your money back. So next time you might want to plan your day around your fish shipment, just in case. When I order fish or plants, I try to order them that way they will arrive on a day that I will be home.

Jan 22, 2008
man, makes you want to get the lfs to do a special order or something close i have a couple local stores that would do that for me, but i would have to pay up front not a problem, best of wishes for the fishes.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
They were in fact both dead and the water smelled almost as if they had been dead since they were shipped to be honest. I have really never smelled water that bad before.

I'm going to email apistodave and hopefully get something worked out with him. I will let you know what I find out.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I know he has a live arrival guarantee but it says that you have to pay shipping for them again so it looks like these fish are going to end up costing me like $80 in the end if that is the case.

:( this sucks!

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Oh nooooo!!
That happened to my rams a lil while ago. I was SO excited when i got them...then i opened the box..and they werent moving. I was sooo disapointed.
Sometimes when they are in the bag they just sit still and hardly move because they are stressed, not because they are dead
But sry to hear about them :(

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was really hoping that they were just sitting there not moving in the bag when I got them this morning but when I looked in the bag when I got home they were floating belly up and their mouths and gills weren't moving at all either.