Starting My First SW Tank

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Anyone have any experience with this company Oceanpro Aquatics - Online Store: RATU FIJI Live Aquacultured Base Rock w/ Coraline Color (POUND) ? That price for Live Rock is outstanding but you know the saying if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Have any of you ordered live rock from online before or do you go and get all of yours at the LFS. Most of what I've been reading says Pre-Cured which is sounding more like wet but not cured rock, being where I'm starting a tank from scratch I supposed letting it cure in my thank would be fine I'm just wanting instant gratification, I'm sure you understand. I also know the benefits of waiting for something good too. It's just hard.

Went back to reread, are they saying they die thier rock to give it the color of coralline algae?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
angelmom said:
Anyone have any experience with this company Oceanpro Aquatics - Online Store: RATU FIJI Live Aquacultured Base Rock w/ Coraline Color (POUND) ? That price for Live Rock is outstanding but you know the saying if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Have any of you ordered live rock from online before or do you go and get all of yours at the LFS. Most of what I've been reading says Pre-Cured which is sounding more like wet but not cured rock, being where I'm starting a tank from scratch I supposed letting it cure in my thank would be fine I'm just wanting instant gratification, I'm sure you understand. I also know the benefits of waiting for something good too. It's just hard.

Went back to reread, are they saying they die thier rock to give it the color of coralline algae?

i heard some good things about them.

i was acutally going to buy a bunch of rocks there when i upgrade my tank. (it comes down to $3 a # to the door.) vs $5.5 at my LFS.

its because i live in CA so i can get a cheaper shipping rate.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
This isn't natural live rock....it looks to be aquacultured rock that is artificually colored to look like coraline algae.......I don't think I would go this route, but that is my opinion....

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I had totaly missed the dyed part at first but then when I noticed it I was thinking what won't they dye. They do have other rock do you think any of it is werth it? If not do you know of any other websites that might be good to check out?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Drs Foster & Smith and liveaquaria have a good rep and I wouldn't be adverse from ordering anything from there. Are you sure you can't pick some up locally......even if you need to make a road trip. Look on Reefcentral or other pages and forums for people breaking down their tanks, maybe you can pick some up from another reefer cheap.....I think that is how Jim Leyland got his.....there are reputable online vendors out there....decide if you want cured or uncured....cured is by far better but will cost you more. Uncured is okay if you have time and energy to cure it in your tank......just get some glade air fresheners....and fly at it...:)

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I talked to a guy tonight that suggested getting 60lbs of uncured rock and then about 15 pounds of cured and curring it myself but it's going to stink huh? hmmm I can't use glade fresheners because of the parakeets so HM I think I'll keep looking for Cured. Now am I correct in assuming that Pre-Cured is rock that was once cured I say this because many sites say pre-cured and fully cured. Or does this mean it's starting the curing process?

I found this site that has Natural Fuji rock with micro algae is that something I would want? It's about $200 for 50lbs now I would need about 100lbs to start a good system with yes, I ask because I've read a 1 1/2 per gal and it's a 60g tank. I can then pick up some pieces here and there can't I as long as it is fully cured right?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I bought "uncured" rock, and was really worried about it stinking up my house, but it really didn't. I guess it depends on how uncured it really is -- ours was fairly fresh. Carbon in a HOB filter will help with the smell, if you get one.

I think if you're going uncured, you may as well get all uncured, I think the die-off from the uncured may damage the cured. If you want to add cured later, you could do that, as long as you make sure it's cured in another tank (or bucket) before adding it to your display tank.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
YahooFishKeeper said:
do you mean macro algae? because if the site really says micro algae... then theyre either taking you for a ride, or not very good at spelling, and id be leary....
Sorry that was my bad..yes it says macro algae..I just read it as micro.

Lotus said:
I bought "uncured" rock, and was really worried about it stinking up my house, but it really didn't. I guess it depends on how uncured it really is -- ours was fairly fresh. Carbon in a HOB filter will help with the smell, if you get one.

I think if you're going uncured, you may as well get all uncured, I think the die-off from the uncured may damage the cured. If you want to add cured later, you could do that, as long as you make sure it's cured in another tank (or bucket) before adding it to your display tank.
I could use a sump and a hang on the back while it's curing couldn't I or would that mess something up. I have an extra Emporer 400 from when I took my 125 down. It takes about 2 months for it to fully cure uncured rock right.

More reasearch to do, I don't know if my brain can take anymore...lol *crazysmil

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I have been doing that too, I was this [] close to getting rock from someones 50g aquarium he was selling, he has corals and what not to go along with it but someone bought his whole set up just before I called him. BTW make sure when you go to craigs list you do it correctly :eek:

Thanks for the list, I'll check them out.

For the most part you can go from one corner of the state to the other in about in hour give or take.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could definitely put a HOB filter on with carbon in while it's cycling, and a protein skimmer will help, too.

You can also cure in a garage or other storage area with powerheads and a heater in large buckets/rubbermaid vats, if you're really worried about the smell.

Ours was supposedly uncured, but was cured within two weeks. I think it's because we're in California, and it came fairly fresh off the boat.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I haven't been around much just been really busy. Here is a short update on how the tank is going.

60g Tank
Protein skimmer in in rout. I got a Turboflotor T1000 with Ocean Runner 270
Sump is together and not leaking (Way to go for my Man)
Plumbing is almost done just a couple of minor details
RO Unit is hooked up and working
Light is a T6 (after doing much more research we may be getting something different.)
2 Seio (sp) 620
2 Seio (sp) 820

Our plan for Rock is as follows 100lbs of dead rock suplamented with 20-30lbs of live rock.

As for fish still thinking of it.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
My planning for dead rock worked out ok but I stuck it in the sump area. I have live rock rubble just under the over flow area so the water is flowing through the rock and then in the next chamber I have the dead rock. I figure it can seed from there. I'm not really liking it that much so I don't want to put it in my main tank but I figure it will seed there and be good for filtration at some point. For filtration I also got a nice little hang on the back refrugium. I won't have room in my sump after I get my Protein Skimmer in it. My skimmer should be coming today. :)

I went to a pet shop near my house that has a HUGE fish section. I'll put it this way Jessica went with me one time and missed about 1/2 the fish because she thought it ended at one point but it continues way into the back of the store. Well anyway the my husband and I started talking with the owner that is pretty knowable with the fish (pretty much was saying everything I've read here) and he said if I'm willing to give him my business then he is willing to give me deals that not all people get there. And he has, I got Live Rock for $6 a pound not a huge great thing but the guy that came by 5 minutes before I did was quoted $10. It's really nice looking rock too. Lots of color on it. He gave me a 20% discount on the sand and a few other things I bought from him. Like a pump and my refugium. I had to buy a new pump because the one I had was a bit too strong for the tank. It was sucking all the water out of my sump before it was actually returning to my sump. That was almost a huge mess.

He said when we are ready to start placing some corals to let him know and he will take us down stairs to where they have really nice coral. The stuff he told my brother-in-law wasn't for sale. ;). I guess it's for sale but to certain people not everyone.*thumbsups