step by step from fresh to a reef

Gouramiman

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
its been a while sinse ive posted and still the tank sits there. my neighbor somehow talkked me into taking his dying flowerpot off of his hands because his hair algea was begining to block the light out to it. right now in the refugium i have 1 damsel, 3 snails, and 5 lbs. of lr. i got the skimmer running yesterday and it instantly foamed up. i think im going to go with southdown sand from home depot because my funds are running out. has anyone here ever used southdowm(also known as oldcastle or yardright) it says on the package thatt it is aragonite from the bahamas. so im guessing it will be fine. hopefully the tank will be running soon. i found a lfs with lr. for 2.75 a pound!!! so 50 or so lbs. will be going into it for starters and maybe a little more down the road.

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
its been a looong time since ive posted and things havent changed much. the refugium that i started has been stable for a while with 1 blue damsel, 3 snails, and a crab that i picked up from the lfs(dont know what kind it is). i have been getting water from the ro system that i have. it only makes 10 gpd but ive got 30 gallons from a few days. i also made a new canopy to get the halides higher off the water.

some pictures:

refugium

canopy closed

canopy open

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't suggest keeping the damsel in the refugium if you ever want to use it to generate pods and so on as food for the main display as damsels are pretty good micropredators and will eat most everything in it