step by step from fresh to a reef

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
yea i ditched the hair algea. so its been up and running for a week and its going great. except for the evaporation wich is about 1/2 ns inch a day in the small chamber. its a real hassel to keep up with it so that te salinity doesnt go up. on wendsday i got 5 lbs of lr. it looks pretty good. my parents arent painting the room for another 2 weeks so its gonna be a wile before the real tank gets set up. i also ordered the lighting last night i got a single 250 watt retrokit for $160 with electronic ballastlight
i thinmk i am also going t buy a single t-5 for actanic from the lfs.

heres some pics of the refugium.

Attachments

Gouramiman

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
The damsel mysteriously died. i checked nitrates and it tested 0. i cannot thinki of anything else right now that could have killed him. the lighting got backorderd a week ago and i didnt get the e-mail about it, but they will be here on moday. i really regret putting that hair algea in there. even tho i removed it from the tank its comming back. im thinkin i should change most if not all of the water and take all the rocks and scrub them with a tooth brush to get rid of the hair algea. do you think this will help??

Gouramiman

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
well the tank will be getting set up in the next week or so. im just goingwait till it gets set up im going to dump all the water and scrub the rocks and sump then set it up with the tank. hopefully this will stop the dreaded hair algea.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Check out rock cooking on reefcentral. Without some herbivores i think scrubbing the rock will be ineffective.
They will also act as a health test for the tank. Right now the only thing I can think of that would have killed the damsel would be an ammonia spike.

Gouramiman

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
got the lights today!! they are sooo bright and very blue. yea i think i will just leave it and let a clean up crew take care of it. here are some pics of the lights on the tank.

Last edited:

Gouramiman

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
the spot light doesnt look soo bad but i wont know for sure until i get water in it. oh yea and i went with a 250 watt. i put it over the refugium and i think it burnt some of the algea or it doesnt look like there is as much now.