Taking Suggestions! Please chime in!

3 years ago I too found a 'great' saltwater set up...At Petco with a 29g Eclipse... I have found that the filter does not provide adequate filtration for the 29G and a year into the tank I had to replace the 'hood' completely The lights stopped working and every T5 bulb you find was more than the recommended 18W... Was cheaper to set it up with the light strips and proper filtration than it was to buy the replacement hood... The filtration is built into the hood... Salt is a corrosive (sp) and it will eventually seep into the ligthing part of the hood and damage it... :)

This was my expierence... If I had started it in freshwater I am sure it would be a better system...

All I am trying to say is be careful of what you buy :) The replacement hood for the Eclipse system I had is like 129.00... For 75 or so more I purchased a canister filter and a Decent lighting system (I only had fish and live rock no corals). Sometimes you have to beware of some of the problems others have had... I had a lady in Petco tell me they NEVER have returns of that kind of system so she did not believe that I had those kinds of problems... Needless to say I never went back into the store...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
My point exactly.....you could probably buy all the equipment you need and spend about the same amount but gain better quality equipment and get what will suit you over the long run.

Oh and we are not all "guys" some of us are old ladies

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Well went shoppin again today, decided to pass on that setup that dixie said. I found a 38g for 239.00 with the stand. The girl there said she had a nice filter with a cannister setup? and a skimmer included for 200.00. The lights she said would be adequate for a fish only tank, but i'll need to switch if i wanna go coral. Sound ok LADIES and gentlemen? :p

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
So wait I dont need the canister filter? I can just buy the remora?!

I went to the LFS and got this type of pricing. For one its way over my budget. But, Im in love with the setup. Now i'm doing the worse thing possible trying to cut corners. But hey..... i know.

The tank itself is:

55g Corner Bow w/ overflow + Canopy and stand - $555.00

Lighting - T5 30" - $44.00

Filter - Megaflow 1 - $213.00

Return Pump - Mag7 - $96.00

Protein Skimmer - 65 Coralife - $152.00

200w heater - $33.00

Hydrometer and Test Kits - $42.00

Sand 40lbs - $42.00

Live Rock 55lbs - (4.99/lb) - $274.99

total $1447.40

The thing is I really dont need a very complicated setup. Im trying to make this as simple as possible. So it can be both cost effective and show good results for my future inhabitants. What can I do to drop the cost down a bit and not screw up. I looked into the aqua c remora looks like a great product, one i'd be willing to drop money on if it saved me from the whole under the tank deal. Please guys, its crunch time, I need to stop thinking about this whole thing. I just wanna get it up and cycling ASAP. Going to a few more stores tomorrow to look at more tanks. I really appreciate all the help.

Much love..

*celebrate

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay from your list above.......
Lose the megaflow filter and the coralife skimmer and buy an Aqua C Remora skimmer.......this is a hang on skimmer and you could at this time not do the sump........that would eliminate the return pump also...dropping your cost by about $200 (you could save more by buying the remora on ebay)...... You have a good price on live rock, is this cured? if it is cured it will make your life easier and a quicker cycle. The only thing missing from your list are powerheads and you probably need a couple ......look for a couple of seio's they will cost a bit more but are by far the best for massive flow other than the tunze....though tunze has some great nano powerheads out there that are reasonably priced.....otherwise you are on track

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
awesome that drives the price down a whole lot! Maybe somewhere down the line I can throw a filter on before adding my livestock? Not a huge one but just so there is some filtration?

Also Lorna thank you for the quick response as im heading out again this afternoon.

Could you take a look as to if this powerhead would work.

eBay: SEIO 620 POWERHEAD (item 150056663049 end time Mar-08-07 12:05:49 PST)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
those are great powerheads, I use that exact model, but I like the next one up the 820 I think it is, more umph...you really have no need to add a filter later...you are missing the idea that your live rock IS your filter.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Exactly as Ares said.....I use two Seio 820's and a maxijet9 in my 75 along with my return from my sump and I still think I could have more flow.....so I will be looking into tunze's in the future.....AGAIN, you do not need a filter....the rock and the deep sand bed of about 4 inches deep IS all the biological filter you need.....coupled with that very good remora skimmer that it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes now you need all the little stuff.....salt mix, hydrometer, test kits. oh and you forgot a heater. You don't need to put all live sand.....just innoculate the sand with a cup or so from someone else's tank......