Taking Suggestions! Please chime in!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
just be consistent, since your not running a full blown reef at the moment, instant ocean is good and cheap, but buy the 160 gallon bucket, you will use it and it is way cheaper in the long run, when you get corals etc... you might want to upgrade to reef crystals, I have been using it for years and haven't had any complaints.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
your getting a hydrometer? well there great at first...but now i want/getting a refactometer a bit more money but totally worth it.

btw nice choice on the seio will save u hundreds on the long run.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
the refactometer is easier and very accurate (dont have to worry about air bubbles). might i add very fun to play around with??

great investment if your planning to start a big reef tank.

if u dont want to spend a lot of money on power heads and u have a lot of power tools ect...

get a maxi-jet and mod it. heard they (model 900) can go up to 1200 gph on 8 watts X.X
*dam that takes skillz*

Last edited:

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Guys do I need the skimmer to start my cycling? Or could i start my cycle with just the live rock and powerheads? I was thinking of spending the money on the live rock first just so it can all "re-cure" at the same time from the LFS. Instead of putting it together one by one.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
You don't need to have a skimmer on to cycle. The best thing would be to sink your money into all your rock right now so that it will be all on the same cycle and you won't have to fuss with cycling new rock later before you can put it into your tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree with getting as much rock as possible right now and just get it into the tank to start the cycle...though skimmers are recomended there not required to start up a tank ;)