There is a hole in......

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
well, i dont know if you guys remember but, when I first got my Yellow Angel I said that it had a little red spot on the end of his tail(or fin) umm, I got back from school today and looked at it, and there is a hole in the sames spot the red was. So the red is gone know there is a hole. What the heck is that????

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
well, I just read up on it and it says ussaly caused by parasites, or overcrowding, low oxygen levels, bullying, poor water quality etc.

So I would have to say that I have bad water conditions because I dont have good water flow, and I didn't even know salt water dish needed oxygen?? how do I make oxygen? should I just run my bubbles? well thanx a lot guys..

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no dont run your bubbles that will do relatively little you need better surface gas exchange, not sure if you have a skimmer yet but that would help with water quality and gas exchange....

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
URRRRRRRRR. no I dont have a skimmer yet. but your not saying hat the only way to run my tank(sucesfully) is with a skimmer are you. I hope not because I am broke right now.

this is something totaly different.(can you hook a skimmer up to a sump tank)

thank you aresgod

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
How much did the angel cost that you just bought? Wouldn't that money have been better spent towards buying or saving for a skimmer? Also how did you not know about O2 and gas exchange? This is the reason why salt water tanks have less room for fish. There is less dissolved 02 in the water.

EDIT: As I read this it sounded a bit harsh. I was just wondering how you have gotten as far as you have with a salt-water tank without understanding gas exchange and what-not. Sorry didn't mean to sound critical.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
LOL, no not at all dude, I actually perfure that when you guys help me be strait up. I just want to learn. um, the money, yes would have been better spent on a skimmer, It would have been better spent on some powerheads, becuase I am only running about 300 gph(max). And my mother the other day was like Sean, I'll buy you a fish. So I said why not. But the reason I dont get a skimmer(yet) is because I dont have room on the back of my tank.(from the wall to my tank is one inch.) So I was thinking I would have to run a sump. And the angel was only 20$, but still. I am trying to get some more water flow in my tanbk right. now.(and what the heck is all this stuff about gas???) thanx a lot and(I need some help) so good thing I have you guys...... :D

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
You can get powerheads cheap online. BTW I have zero expierence in SW but I was just curious about this thread. Anyway I would definitely work on getting everything, equip. wise, the tank needs. You will probably be suprised on how everything falls together afterwards.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
hey you can put an aqua-c remora on the side of your tank, it will fit, plus you have a hex so you should be able to fit it somewhere, that should be your main priority now, its a great skimmer, its the one i use, ask your parents to loan you the money up front and work it off, in my opinion best option for you, or get a job....

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
dude im not a guru yet but you should definitly get a skimmer!! After all the crap i pour outta mine every other day i couldn't imagine not having one( and i have a crummy seaclone)....I would almost say spring for the skimmer over the powerheads you'll be stoked! You could also move the tank away from the wall so you can do a HOB skimmer no need to have a sump just to skim...just do a fancy hiding job or leave it out in the open who cares!!

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
get a clean trash can or bunch ofbucket or rubbermaid containers, empty alot of water into the containers. Have a family member, buddy, girlfriend/boyfriend, sibling, neighboor. help lift one side while you lift the other carefull not to make rapid move or crash tumbling rocks on yer livestock...maybe even take livestock out if you cant be tedious. You shouldn't have to move it very far from the wall to fit a skimmer in there or put it on another part of yer hex. Refill tank add livestock *celebrate

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
The only thing is this stock lid is covers all the sides(except back of course)
so is there a way to hang on the back if I could move my tank out like a couple of inches(but hoh the hack do I do that, my luck the seals would break and I would have no fish tank, lol) ??some tips??

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
jammerz said:
get a clean trash can or bunch ofbucket or rubbermaid containers, empty alot of water into the containers. Have a family member, buddy, girlfriend/boyfriend, sibling, neighboor. help lift one side while you lift the other carefull not to make rapid move or crash tumbling rocks on yer livestock...maybe even take livestock out if you cant be tedious. You shouldn't have to move it very far from the wall to fit a skimmer in there or put it on another part of yer hex. Refill tank add livestock *celebrate
thanx jammerz i didn't see that untill I made my post, I think this is what I might end up doing.

Um what is this about-

Description:The Fluval Surface Skimmer removes organic film on the water's surface, and helps to improve oxygen exchange. Simply hook the skimmer up to the intake of your Fluval and attach the unit with the two included suction cups. Size: 11.5" ----it's like 10$, think it is crap

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
not sure, but you could defintly fit a seaclone, look on the net it'll give ya dimensions for a remora.when you get a skimmeryou could put one of those tubes on each side of the skimmer, and it woul fit