There is a hole in......

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if you don't have a rubbermaid on hand (most people do is why i suggested it) you could go to petco and get a 10g...they are like $9 usually. 20% will be just fine. remember, your LR contains most of your biological filtration

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ok got ya, and that 10 gal would be running with tank water and a power head right? I did 5 gal. wc last night and I will do 10 more tonight with 10 more tomorow. sound cool, I havent really changed that much water before but I get what you are saying about the LR.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
QT: probably 1/2 tank water 1/2 new mix (remember, the cause of the problem is bad water quality so we don't want to QT in that same water) and either a powerhead or a corner sponge filter.

Display: I woudl change at least 40gallons total today (20 now, 20 later) and another 40 tomorrow

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
camaro I dont think I can do that much dude. I mean I use 5 gal buckets to do water changes and I only have one extra heater( to bring water up to temp) but I could do 10-15 a day.... will this work?? but wouldn't 40 gal in one day jack the tempature up to much, I guess not if yyou are carefull, but I will do as much as posible

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well temperature will affect you SG or salinity reading so idealy you want the water to be the temp that you have your tank right so you the right amount of salt, im going to clue you in to a little trick of mine, 2.5 cups of salt in a 5 gallon bucket will mix the water to be at 1.023 no matter the temp aas long as you let the temp rise the salinity will br right on, so go borrow your mom's measuring cup and get mixing, dont tell her i told you to use her bake ware for it though, and best thing to do would to go out and buy one just for SW stuff because salt left in your cup isnt good for baking

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Ok I'm good to go. I always use 2 1/2 cups/ already bought my own measuring cups after my mom beat me up for using hers. I used to use just 2 cups but I did learn *celebrate to put about a half cup in so I should be good. however my ph did drop a little and my water is a little cloudy(cant be good for the fish) And I wont have buffer until tomorow?? heads up on any thing??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if the water is cloudy then the salt was probably not well mixed or changing the water stirred up crud from the sandbed and live rock...to mix my salt i usually stir it with a stick for 5-10 minutes and then run a power head in the bucket for a while...fyi salt also disolves better in warm water