TRe's 82g build

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
That sucks bout your corals TRe! It's almost like we need a tank sitter if you want tong on vacation! Were taking our kids to Disney this comming december, just booked it last week.. Figure we have almost a year to pay it off lol.. How's the little ones doing?! I'm finally getting a tank in a few weeks.. Waiting for the guy to get his new tank and do the transfer.. I've been out of work for 2 months but going back on Monday!! I'm going to build a wall around the tank and still use the stand, pretty sure I can make it work.. Gonna be at least a month or 2 till I set it up but I'm looking fwd to finally be back.. Going to the frag swap in April to start picking up equipment, keep up the good work man!!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Good to hear your getting back in Jim! My kids are doin great... They just turned 2 this past Monday! All I can say about your new build is... Go slow and think everything through! As much thought as I put into this build, a year later im wishing I had done some things differently... I cant imagine going to a frag swap and not being able to buy frags! :p

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Slow is defiantly the speed I'm going for lol.. It's allready drilled ( not a RR ) so hopefully I like the locations lol.. I'm thinking about going closed loop , just not sure about what kind of pump to use.. When you do water changes do u take water out of ur sump or ur Dt? I plan on adding a bulk head with a hose on it to drain water for changes.. Think I'm going to go witH a octopus skimmer.. Wanna get a bunch of dry rock and get it put together with rods . Gonna have most of the rock in my sump I think..

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
I definitely recommend the Octo skimmer! What size tank are you getting? As far as water changes... I have a hole drilled in my sump (return section) with a valve. I keep the valve closed except when I do water changes, The hole is just above the normal water level in the return section. As I pump the new clean SW in to the DT, the water level in the return section rises and drains... I drilled 2 holes in the wall going outside... 1 hole for the drain, and the other is for the new clean water that gets pumped in from the brute container that is sitting directly on the other side of the wall.

One thing I wish I had done differantly is the hole I drilled in my sump for the drain is IMO too small (1" bulkhead) instead I wish I had gone atleast 2 or 3 inches cause the water gets pumped in a little fast than it drains out....

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
It's a 75g , not sure what size sump, I was thinking about running a hose outside threw my floor kinda like you did for the water changes.. It's comming with 2 x 250mh with new bulbs some lr and a stand.. Need to get a return pump and some power heads yet