trying to lower nitrates--

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No , because your live rock is probbly very different to mine. Americans really like to pile it in because they ahve a legacy of very dense caribbean rock.

Cannisters, wet dry and UGF's can also produce enormous volumes of live rock, and certainly enough to overwhelm the denitrafying abilities of live rock. Water changes are ultimately not going to reduce it to zero unless you change 100%, and I don't like the nitrate reducing sponges. It's hardy to argue with a sump/refugium with a dsb and/or macroalgaes

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
so get a little more LR, scrap the floss media but leave the bio-sponge in my canister, make sure my skimmer is cruisin, add a refugium, ohh and use carbon and rowaphos in my canister?....already scrapped UGF. And my nitrates will drop? i could probably do that.

If i do my refugium beneath my tank i will just have to make sure i have a strong pump to pump the water back up....right?

And can i just leave my skimmer hangin on the back of the main tank?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
take everything out of the canister

no reason to use rowaphos

you can leave the skimmer on the back

for your pump measure the feet of head you need to move the water and decide how many gph at that head you want and then go pump shopping (probably online)