What fish could I put in a 40 gallon?

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If you just got your tank you are not going to want to put anything in there other then damsels, (orange / yellow tailed) They are very hearty and will cylcle your filters for you. but if it is already cycled and you have some experience i would go with clowns and cromis. Now if you have experience ( not just some ) then you could get a bi - colored. Water quality is important to these fish. some make sure the inspect your water and the fish while it is in the lfs.

A suggestion for you from me would be to get a coral beauty ( only because i like them more then bi - coroled's) they will do fine in a 30 or a 40 gallon tank. and you could still have clowns and cromis if you wanted. They have very vibrent colors on them also a good fish for people to stare at when the walk in the door. but thats just my opinion.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
so why no LR 2x4? its a really great filter and makes for a natural aquascape?

i wouldn't reccomend putting damsels in the tank unless you want them permanently...there really isn't any reason to. even if you decide to not use LR, you can kick off the cycle with a dead coctail shrimp...why put a fish through the pain?

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
HUMMMMMMM LETS SEE. Damsels are very hearty and they will be fine but sense everyone want to get on some SAVE THE DAMSELS kick whatever i really dont care how you feel about it and to answer your question i wouldnt like it. Ammonia will make a human pass out so i really would feel it to much and second of all no one would slam me in a box so your comment make no sense. if you made a post of how many people use or know people who have used damsel in there cycle you will call a lot of people pricks, now do me a favor and go to your lfs and ask what you should do to cycle a tank and guess what they will say....

Now how about neting fish, baging them, sending them across the county / world, putting them into a little cubical and selling them to people who dont really know that much about fish. But like them because of the color. what do you call that...

So go ahead superman, solve all the fish problem's in the world. Then call me a prick.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think everyone needs to just calm down...no reason to get bent out of shape over this, there are a lot of people who cycle with fish and it does not make them "pricks" or the spawn of satan or anything, its just a different approach. i cycled two tanks with fish before i realized there were other ways which i preferred and which i believe to be better

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest putting a 14 day countdown until you can get fish wait until your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are down before you put fish in or else your just going to add to the time it will take to fully cycle your tank. TRUST ME I've been there the smallest addition to your tank will completely change your water quality. I cycled my tank for a month before I added fish at about 2 weeks I added hermit crabs to help with the nitrites now my tank is pretty stable for the most part I still have a small algae problem due to the fact I added my fish to early. Just be patient that is the key to a good saltwater tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Johnny, you have been some very inconsistent advice on this board about cycling, and I'm going to pitch in my 5 penniesworth. If you say you're giving it two weeks and everything's going in, good luck, and you'll need it because most everything will die. Saltwater ain't fresh, and while that seems obvious, it means a bunch of things.
If you cycle up a tank with ammonia, freshwater style you will have a very rough balance in your system. Putting a coral beauty , a flame hawk et al will tip it and you will get losses, and they ill come fast and often. You have to learn to go slow. Also if you try to take shortcuts, even if you keep casualties down , you will be back in a month whining about bluegreen algae.
Do yourself a big favour and read Mike Palettas New Marin Aquarium, and buy yourself 10 kilos of decent live rock to get your filtration sorted. You've already wasted money on live sand, but that is no disaster, just unnecassarry.
No, don't waste your time with BioSpira et al

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If you are going to get a coral beauty i would wait at least 3 month. They are hearty to a degree but in my opinion i would want to wait to get one. I have one now and i love it but i am also glad that i waited. you may be able to get away with a clown after a month.

By the way guys / girls -- Sorry about that post ^. I never should have wrote all of that. But its really frustrating when some people can be so simple minded about some things. Although it would be better to not cycle a tank with fish. So no fish are hurt But... how many time have to gone to a lfs and seen a fish dying.
And S. Reef i know you have a idea of what im talking about. Anyway sorry about that.

Last edited: