Need an Algae ID

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Here are some pics guys, I dont know what it is, but it seems to grow in patches all over the tank. The rocks are free of this stuff, its just the glass, back and power head seem to fall victim. Oh and the magfloat is terrible at cleaning this stuff. I have to go over each part over and over and over again before it comes off.

So what is it? Whats the best way to get rid of it?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Pics are blurry, but looks like green hair to me. What are your water parameters? Particularly phosphate and total dissolved solids.
What type of lighting do you have and is your tank exposed to sunight *SUNSMILE* at any time during the day?

What does the waste from your skimmer look like...is it adjusted properly?

Last edited:

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
I got my phosphate checked since I didnt have a kit for it. It was .50 i remember ....not sure. The guy told me phosban and my tank died. Now the tank has restabilized. I dont have a skimmer, its a 24g Aquapod with 150HQI MH.

*edit* And no sunlight at anytime during the day. Walkout Basement with black curtains. No light gets in at all, I can be sort of a vampire at times.

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
I got my phosphate checked since I didnt have a kit for it. It was .50 i remember ....not sure.

I dont have a skimmer, its a 24g Aquapod with 150HQI MH.
Phos level should be 0.0 to 0.03ppm

Introduce a phosphate magnet and do some serious water changes.
.10ppm is considered critical and at .25ppm coral growth is retarded.
.50ppm is waaayyy too high.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Actually a skimmer on a 24g is not overkill.....you can get away with it but you need to be dilligent and relentless on waterchanges and constantly be monitoring for nitrates and phosphates. Aqua remora makes a nano hob skimmer that if it is anything like the full size model is very efficient. I have a cpr bakpak2 rr on my 29 and it pulls alot of stuff out that amazes me.

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
As Lorna mentioned Aqua C makes a great skimmer designed specifically for nanos. Any marine tank will benefit from a skimmer. BTW I read some of your thread on your tank setup. A refractometer is the only good way to test your SG/salinity. Swing arm hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. Your test kit should contain tests for the following:

Test kits for the following:
pH
Carbonate Hardness (KH,dKH)
Calcium
Phosphate
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Strontium
Iron
Iodine
Dissolved Solids/Redox if you want to test for water "purity"...your water's ability ro "reduce" and "oxidize" contaminants. (google it for a better explanation)

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Totally forgot your white speck issue. Hard to tell from the pics. Try to get a better pic. They could be isopods or spirorbis (tiny cornet worm)...need better pic to ID them.
Are they spiral shaped?
Do they cling to the glass with one end and sway in the current?
They are hard to scrape off, right? If so prolly not isopods.