new 75 gallon reef setup

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I'm planning on buying a 75 gallon tank with a Hamilton 2 x 175w MH, 2 x 110w VHO lighting system, and a wave maker. With a maple stand and hood. Price is too good to pass up. It's not drilled and no overflow. What would be the best setup for doing a sump/refug? I don't think I'm going to cut holes into this tank.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
What ever the biggest tank that will fit under the stand would be best.. I would get a mag 7-9 for a return pump you can T it off at the pump to get 2 retuns out of it.. Is a skimmer comming with it? What kinda corals does it come with?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Just an empty 75 gal tank with maple stand/hood and the lights for $300. The lighting fixture is worth that pretty much.

I have another option of a 90 gallon with overflow/drilled and a 30gal sump on a stand with a Mag 9 pump for the same price. I'm thinking the 90 gallon might be the better deal and just look for a deal on a seperate lighting fixture.

Well the guy with the 75 gallon just emailed me and said he would include the 10gal sump he used with it. Now that may be a better deal heh.

Last edited:

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Didn't you just get a 175watt mh? You could just get the 90 and then another 175.. See if the guy will take 250 for the tank then use the extra 50 bucks towards a light.. That's what i would do ne ways

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
built in overflow and increased water volume is always nice but unless youve got the extra cash for lighting i think id go with the 75g and just get a HOB overflow! that 90g does look pretty sweet but make sure u leave room in your budget for rock, sand, return pump, powerheads and all that good stuff ;)

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Decided I'm going to get the 75 gallon. The guy with the 90 turns out is about 100 miles away from me. Guy with 75 gallon took my offer of $250. The lights are worth more then that.

Selling my freshwater 55 cichlid tank for $150 and one 12 gallon Aquapod for $75. Making my cost a whopping $25. Only reef tanks for me now. Didn't take me long to give up freshwater.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
sweet... take your time.... do it once, do it right!

Yep I'll probably spend a few weeks getting it going. Thinking 50 lbs of live rock and another 30 of base. Sand wise I want white aragonite, need to find a cheap deal on it and then I'll mix in the black live sand bed from the Aquapod I'm going to sell.

Don't know what the 10 gallon sump included will look like will need a good skimmer too. Lights are around 10 months old so I'll probably need to replace the MHs as well.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
heh I'm going to need some.

I got the tank it looks like the sun in my living room with those halides and VHOs. Sump is nothing more then a 10 gallon tank. I'll probably go up to a 20 or 30 gallon and do a refug. He gave me a hob overflow and a Blueline Tsunami wave maker. The Hamilton light isn't a retrofit in the hood either it's the whole enclosed 2 fan job. Hood and stand are solid maple. A steal at $250. Next up is buying an RO/DI system so I can get water, sand, and rock in it in the next couple weeks.