tetra and platy mating!!!

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Is this even possible??? I'm also concerned about what kind of tetra I have, because it doesn't look quite like the other pictures of tetras I've seen... I also didn't' realize my tetra was a female.. (I'm assuming she is now because the platy is the one chasing.)

I don't mind them mating at all, but I'm concerned as to whether this will even work out, and if it does, what do I need to do?

*GOLDFISH* :)

I've attached a picture, but of course now that I got my camera out, they decided to be camera shy and stop... the only thing is, I have a mollie that became interested in the tetra after the platy left her alone... which worries me that she might be being bombarded by all the males...

Attachments

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
ALSO!!

I have a 10 gallon tank with:
-two mollies
-a platy
-a black moor
-a female betta (she's not aggressive at ALL! What a dear!)
-some sort of tetra

They all have gotten along wonderfully. I added them one at a time over the course of about 6 months. They never fight or pick at each other, although my betta is getting pretty old so she might die fairly soon... :(

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
ALSO!!

-two mollies
-a platy
-a black moor
-some sort of tetra

They all have gotten along wonderfully. I added them one at a time over the course of about 6 months. They never fight or pick at each other, although my betta is getting pretty old so she might die fairly soon... :(
you have a goldfish with tropical fish, should not be. goldfish need 15-20G of water per goldfish. They are also coldwater fish. please research your fish so you understand exactly what I mean. Google works

other than the goldfish, i'd say your tank is okay. I'm not sure if mollies should be in 10Gs.

That's my input, end.

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
that's no help with my breeding situation whatsoever.... (no offense)

and there haven't been any problems with the goldfish at all.

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
No problems with the goldfish at all-yet. I won't get into it, though. I'm sure someone else will.

Your tetra looks like a white skirt tetra. Your males may be trying to breed with her but it won't work. Tetras lay eggs. The other two are live bearers. Your fish are not going to crossbreed, even if they may try. As long as they don't harass her that much or nip her fins it's not really a problem.

It's probably a white skirt tetra: white skirt tetra - Google Image Search

-two mollies
-a platy
-a black moor
-some sort of tetra
Oooook, Like Jo3 said, you should get rid of the goldfish. Goldfish are coldwater while all your other fish are tropicals. Goldfish need cold temperatures to thrive and large tanks (20 gallons for one goldfish, 10 extra gallons for each additional goldfish.) So the goldfish should go. Everything else is fine, except that tetras are schooling fish and should be kept in groups.

I'd suggest you get rid of the goldfish and get 2-3 more white skirts. And don't worry about the mating; as moshi-cat just said, one is a livebearer and the other lays eggs...that wouldn't work so well!

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
I googled some stuff about why the goldfish shouldn't be living there... but they've been coexisting in the same tank for over 6 months and there's never been a single problem... they don't even acknowledge each other.... the only problem I've had with my goldfish was when I needed to take care of a friend's purple parrot fish.... needless to say, the parrot fish went nuts and tried to kill all the fish, not just the goldfish.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
and there haven't been any problems with the goldfish at all.[/QUOTE]

well "no offense" but if you are going to ask for advice about something as if you plan on going about it the right way, what good does it do you to have something else completely wrong like the mix of fish and conditions you put them in? No offense but that is "stupid". Let's drive a new car and get it inspected but skip registration. It's okay to drive the car because even though it's not registered it still passed inspection.

The issue of your 2 fish mating is great, and has no detriment whatsoever to your tank except overpopulation. If you're serious about fishkeeping, then you should note the matters at hand, and the above mentioned is one of them.

And I'm doing you a favor by bringing it up now even though it wasn't what you asked for but it's very noticeable when you mentioned your stock. When you post a thread in the future about issues with your goldfish/tropicals you can look back at this thread and say duhhh instead of making another thread :)

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
I know it's a bit off topic but when did they change the name of the black widow tetra to black skirt tetra? I know it's just the common name, but I like the old name better. Maybe because "black widow" sounded too dangerous, and nobody was buying them except people who want a fish with a dangerous name.

I like Kissy's idea. Lose the goldfish and buy some more white skirt tetras!

jo3, you did notice that the fish are different species, right?

Last edited:
and i think my goldfish is male? It hasn't swollen up like the female fish in my tank...
I don't think you understand WHY it's a problem. First of all, the temperature is different and won't let your fish thrive. Second, the tank is too small. Ever heard of stunting? It's when the fish lives in a tank that's too small for it to grow to its proper size. The organs keep growing while the skin does not, causing it to look bloated. It will have a slow and painful death because you're keeping it in a tank that is too small.

It has nothing to do with the fact that your fish "get along really well." Your goldfish is not HEALTHY...

EDIT: Btw, whether you realize it or not, your goldfish is producing a lot of waste. Have you checked your ammonia recently? It's probably really high if you haven't been doing 25% water changes twice a week for your current stocking.

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
can someone please tell me EXACTLY why? What might happen to my goldfish if I leave it in there? I'm sorry to sound so volatile about the situation but I'm a beginner and I don't like the idea of getting rid of my goldfish because of the potential problems that could occur and not knowing what they are... If they've lived together for so long with no problems then what's going to happen?

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
I change my water at least 50% weekly. My goldfish seems to be growing just fine, it's tail is absolutely beautiful, when it's getting ridiculously too big I'll move it just for the sake of the other fish, but I keep super good care of my water because of the ridiculous ammonia levels the goldfish puts out.

It's not about them living together, it's about the health of your fish.

What is your temp at right now? Goldfish need it in the low 70s and bettas and tropicals need it in the high 70s, low 80s.

What size is your tank? 10 gallons. How much does a goldfish need to live a healthy life without getting stunted? 20 gallons.

Your temp is wrong and your tank is too small. You're killing your goldfish. (Sorry, can't be any more clear than that...)

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I googled some stuff about why the goldfish shouldn't be living there... but they've been coexisting in the same tank for over 6 months and there's never been a single problem... they don't even acknowledge each other.... the only problem I've had with my goldfish was when I needed to take care of a friend's purple parrot fish.... needless to say, the parrot fish went nuts and tried to kill all the fish, not just the goldfish.
Okay I am responding to you on the basis that you have a decent education and understand logic. If not you can throw this all out the window.

I am sure the fish get along great, neither are aggressive or territorial. It's wrong because goldfish are coldwater and your others are tropical. So while your tropicals are ideally living in temps up to 80F your goldfish might prefer the mid 60s. If you can explain how you can accomodate both temps in your tank then I will praise you. I'm done here

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Here's how all this came about... this might help.

1. I had a water heater, but it broke in a tank that I was keeping my betta in by itself before I realized that it was female and it could live with other fish.

2. No water heater, and no thermometer, my water stays at room temperature.

3. I added the goldfish with the betta into a 10 gallon tank at room temperature.

4. The tetra came next, no problems there.

5. Next was a mickey mouse platy and a mollie. Also, no problems and no change in habits of any of my fish. Keep in mind, I've added these fish in at about 1 every month or so.

6. My fiend couldn't keep her mollie so she gave it to me. Thus, another mollie in the tank.

If anything, I'd say the tropical fish might dislike that the water temp is lower than it should be for them, but they haven't been sick or acting strange, eating more or less, or even nipping at each other. The ammonia levels are extremely low, if not 0, and I keep an EXTREMELY clean tank because I'm always afraid of some sort of infection or bacteria getting to my fishies.

***And the goldfish grows at a normal rate... it hasn't stopped growing, and it hasn't been swelling at all. I keep a very extremely close eye on my fish.

Also, just from stuff that I've read on the internet because of this thread, there have been plenty people saying that there goldfish thrived in situations worse than what mine might be in.

So.... normally, I can see where this would be a problem... but is it possible, even by a fraction of a percent, that my goldfish will be fine. Because it seems fine, and I'm not an idiot.

And the goldfish grows at a normal rate... it hasn't stopped growing, and it hasn't been swelling at all. I keep a very extremely close eye on my fish.

Also, just from stuff that I've read on the internet because of this thread, there have been plenty people saying that there goldfish thrived in situations worse than what mine might be in.
How do you know it's growing at a normal rate? It's going to look bloated eventually and get all sorts of problems. Stunting is real, and it happens.

I'd really be interested in the abnormal cases you found (given that common goldfish sold in stores can grow to one foot in length, I very much doubt that they "thrived" in anything less than a 20g.) I'd really love to see those links...

Also, I'm not flaming you, but it seems that you're taking information from random sources and making it sound like you're doing the right thing instead of listening to people who know what they're talking about.

Keep in mind, are you keeping fish for your benefit or for the benefit and healthy lives of the fish?

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
I'll move the goldfish, but if it acts the exact same way and grows at the same rate it's growing now... I'm putting it back simply because I like to see my fish interact.

And please don't try and make me sound like a bad person. "are you keeping fish for your benefit". Are you kidding me? If I didn't care about my fish, I wouldn't be on this board in the first place. Thanks.

And please don't try and make me sound like a bad person. "are you keeping fish for your benefit". Are you kidding me? If I didn't care about my fish, I wouldn't be on this board in the first place. Thanks.
I'm not. You just seem to don't understand that it's unhealthy for your fish to be in such a small tank, regardless of that fact that it's "growing."

I don't really care what you do since it's your fish in your tank, but you should at least realize that you're keeping your fish in an unhealthy situation.

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
I'm done with this site and it's bull****. All I wanted from this thread was to know about my platy and my tetra, not get ******* blazed by hoity toity users about my goldfish that's perfectly healthy. I know my fish. I watch them daily for at least two hours to check for behavior changes or growth stunts.

and how do i know if it's growing at a normal rate? how would i NOT know? that's a stupid statement!!