The tank that will not cycle.

Oct 28, 2009
Ammonia log- Halloween Eve. Ammonia still incredibly high in tank, is a weapon of mass destruction. Saw a cockroach in the basement earlier, used an eye dropped filled with my fish tank water to kill it, nearly instantly, an unlike alot of roaches I've seen,it never came back to life. I am through with water changes, through with chemicals, and ,for now, done testing it. It's pointless to test daily. The chances of it reading dark green are about the same as the chances of one getting wet in the shower. I have alot of fish now crammed into a 14 gallon tank, and I can't bear to look at them. They can see the 55 gallon tank from where they are, and I know they want in it. I can see it in their eyes. However, all my attempts at explaining to them the reason why they must wait in this jail tank have failed. They just don't seem to understand.

Feb 27, 2009
Prime is another good water conditioner. most do their job well. i wont endorce prime tho...people might start jumping down my throat for using the expesive stuff.

Theres one thing i dont like about prime though, its lack of a dropper cap. it can easily be remedied by just poking one hole in the white stira-foam sealing cover.
I find that Prime is cheaper than most dechlors, since the dose is only 2 drops per gallon.

My bottle has a 'dropper cap.'

Feb 27, 2009
They can see the 55 gallon tank from where they are, and I know they want in it. I can see it in their eyes. However, all my attempts at explaining to them the reason why they must wait in this jail tank have failed. They just don't seem to understand.
I tried to explain to my male Badis badis (plus his 15 babies that are about ready to ship out), that it was necessary to move him to a 10gallon while I rescaped the 29, but they don't understand either!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I used the API conditioner too before i ran out and got prime. its just one of those regular conditioners, it wont disrupt anything...
Hey Newman I use API Stress Coat+ as my water conditioner as its one of the only one's avaliable here. Is this just a run of the mill dechlors like the API tap water conditioner?
Thanks for any advice

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yes that does a good job of dechlorinating. I dont really like how its sludge based...(slimy) but it does not detoxify any ammonia, or nitrite, so be careful if your tap has ammonia or nitrite already in it.

Just so you know i do have a bottle of the stuff, and have used it in the past, a bit when adding fish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea i read about the aloe too, and ive worked with the stuff (indeed its extremely slimey) i dont think it makes that much of a difference to the fish, but aloe has always been good for wounds in humans =/

Feb 27, 2009
Yes that does a good job of dechlorinating. I dont really like how its sludge based...(slimy) but it does not detoxify any ammonia, or nitrite, so be careful if your tap has ammonia or nitrite already in it.
It actually DOES detoxify ammonia. And yes, the aloe is supposed to help the fish replace their slime coat if they've been injured in anyway.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I think we've all been ignoring the + after Stress coat.
My bottle is older and doesnt have a + so it reads simply:
StressCoat

maybe the + is indicative of being more than just a simple dechlor.
My bottle also doesnt say anything about detoxifying ammonia, or anything other than heavy metals, and chlorine.

Feb 27, 2009
I think we've all been ignoring the + after Stress coat.
My bottle is older and doesnt have a + so it reads simply:
StressCoat

maybe the + is indicative of being more than just a simple dechlor.
My bottle also doesnt say anything about detoxifying ammonia, or anything other than heavy metals, and chlorine.
Yup. The PLUS indicates that it does basically what Prime does.

Oct 28, 2009
Has now been 2 weeks since my last post and the ammonia level in the 55 has stayed high. I had it tested again at the pet shop, same result. Almost 3 months now. I'm going to get another filter for it since I don't know what else to blame at this point. If this doesn't work I"ll give the tank away to whoever wants it, lol.

Oct 28, 2009
I tested the water in the 55 again tonite and to my utter excitement the ammonia level has dropped, it's now at 1.0, whereas before it was at 8.0. So I had to test for nitrites, and sure enough, I'm seeing those for the first time. The tank is still fishless and I've been adding bacteria from the filter on the 45. No chemicals at all. I was close to buying a new filter but now I'll just continue to let nature do it's thing. If I had been more patient to begin with the tank would already be cycled. Lesson learned here- New tank & Amquel+ = no cycle. New tank & no chemicals = normal cycle. If anyone is reading this that hasn't already, for the love of your fish (not to mention your wallet) don't use Amquel+ when setting up a new tank. I don't give a damn what their website says. They are in business to make money as is a used car salesman. Amquel + WILL disrupt the cycling process.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
also Nutrafin cyle does nothing positive either.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

ow are you cycling? with pure ammonia added every few days? or fish food, or what?