10 Gallon Tank Questions

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Hey all. I have a few questions about possibly getting a 10 gallon tank.

1. How much would a 10 gallon tank with lighting/heating/filteration/deco/fish cost. Go with a kit or buy everything separately?

2. Would a stable and full dresser be able to support a 10 gallon tank?

3. What would be good fish to have in a ten gallon tank?

I don't even know if I'm going to do this and if I did it would not be very soon. I'm also fairly new to fish keeping and not on a huge budget but I would like to get something more than my current 2.5 Gallon tank with a single betta.

Thanks for any and all help!

*DRUMMER*

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I currently have a 2.5 gallon tank on top of that dresser and have had no problems with it. The wood seems to be sealed and I'm not sure if it's actually wood at all. If it does get wet I just wipe up the water and it's dry. I also have a towel underneath the tank in case water seeps out during feedings. Thanks.

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
1. If you aren't concerned about specialty lighting or other fancy stuff buy a kit. It's way cheaper than buying things separately. Another option is looking at something like craigslist, but then you might get an incomplete setup, etc. As a new fishkeeper, you're probably better to buy the kit from your fish store.
2. If you can sit on your dresser without breaking it, it should support a 10g, no problem.
3. Lots of good community fish for a 10g. Things like guppies, platies, certain tetras, cories, bettas, even aquatic frogs . . . . .
Decide if you are getting the tank. Then ask us about how to get it cycled and ready for fish. Meanwhile research freshwater tropical fish, and see what you like. Ask us again about the fish that you fancy before you buy anything.
Cheers,
Laura

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I'm not planning on buying anything anytime soon so I just needed some background info. Thanks so much for the help and I'll let you know if and when I get it. Also, how long would cycling that take?

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
My brother has a 130l tank full up on his small wooden sliding draw.. he tested it by standing on it with his friend for about 1 hour....

Water weighs a lot though.. 10G i dont think is much. as long as the unit is steady... and you minimise spillage you should be ok...

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Another question. How much care/maintenance is involved with a bigger tank? More or less? I've heard that the bigger a tank is the easier it is to care for but that seems slightly backwards.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Larger tanks are less work because you can be a bit more lax with your parameters and water changes. Its a bit more work on the set up end, but once you get it going its all about the same honestly.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You almost never do a 'complete cleaning' - as in, take everything apart, scrub it down and put it back. It destroys the bacteria needed for a healthy tank. But you should plan on doing water changes once a week - at the same time, you would do things like scrub the glass of algae, trim live plants, clean the filter media in your filter, etc. Honestly, for a basic tank set up under 40g, I'd say 1/2 hour once a week is plenty of time for general maintenance.
And yes, a larger tank - like a 20g instead of a 10g - will not take you much more time to maintain, be more forgiving of, say, missing a water change by a day or two, and offer you way more flexibility in the kinds of fish you can have. And it won't cost a whole lot more than a 10g kit.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I always try to set my tanks on something spongy, like I have a few layers of cut up yoga mat right now, under my tanks to account for minor leveling issues. That way the table can be "close enough" and you won't end up damaging the tank.