10 Gallon Tank Questions

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
A 10g tank is great - it will be fun for you! If you get bitten by the bug, and decide omfg, I should have listened to those mft people and got a bigger tank, the 10g can be used as a breeder or quarantine tank down the line.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
After researching I've decided that I would like 6 neon tetras, Malcolm, and a cory cat or two. Is that to many and do the corys need to be in groups of 6 or more? If not any other options. I like neon tetras and like the idea of having them but if not then shoot me any other ideas. Thanks!!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Cories are usually happier with some company. Since they are occupying a different part of the tank for the most part, I'd go with at least three - there are pygmy variations, or other cories like juliis or pandas tend to stay smaller than, say, sterbais. That, 5-6 neons and Malcolm would be lovely in a 10g. A few live plants, perhaps? Someplace for Malcolm to chill out?

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Maybe live plants after everything is settled. This sounds like an awesome tank.

-Malcolm
-4 Pygmy Corys (are these at Petco/Petsmart/etc?)
- 5 Neon Tetras

I am slightly worried about having the tetras and betta not getting along.

Another concern. I frequently take weekend trips where I leave Friday night and get home Sunday evening. Is that a problem or can I get like a vacation tablet of food?

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2010
Malcolm is a great name!

Cories, or any schooling fish are good options! Perhaps not both, as you'd want sixish of each, and that's a lot of fish. Well, actually you could do both, (5 each, plus Malcolm, perhaps?) but you'd have less room for errors or late water changes.

There's a ton of options for tetras - don't limit yourself to just neons! Check out rummynose, gold barbs, ember tetras, boraras brigittae, and celestial pearl danios!

:D have fun stocking!

Oct 29, 2010
Whoops missed your newest post!

Sometimes betta don't do well with schooling fish, it's true. They could be agressive toward the fish, get nipped, or simply be unable to handle all of the movement. It'll help to have plants (live or fake) and a hiding place for Malcolm to get away from them.

However, plenty of betta live happily with schooling fish! The best plan is to keep your 2.5 gal set up for a while, so you can move him out if he seems unduly stressed.

Your tank can survive going without food on Saturdays - it's actually recommended to keep one day a week without food.

SonofaGun

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I'll be honest, I just read the last page (so far) so I'm not sure if you're specifically looking for tetras or small schooling fish, but you might think about harlequin rasboras. They stay small and while they might not have the colour of a neon, they are attractive little fish. I have a group of 8 in with a bunch of cherry barbs and I'm really enjoying them, they are nice fish. Would be more than happy in a 10 gallon.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
^^ Another good option.

How would you suggest adding the betta? Have him in there first and add the other fish or the other way around? Also a newbie question but how does feeding work with the different types of fish? Do they have their own kinds of food and only eat that like my betta would stay away from Cory food or what?

Also I think 5 of each with Malcolm should be good unless anyone else thinks otherwise.

And the cories and tetras are available at Petsmart right?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
IMO, 4xpeppered or albino corries. Petsmart doesn't stock pygmies and the other "cories" that stock aren't technically cories and grow larger than normal, faster than normal. A couple Mystery snails (petsmart sells mostly mystery snails), then your betta. Everybody should be happy.

How to introduce your betta? Follow a regular acclimation process. If you add new fish or something rearrange the decorations to put all the fish on equal footing if you're concerned. (They're not territorial per-se, but mixing up the furniture makes everyone readjust, so the new fish aren't at a disadvantage. With snails and bottom feeders though, I doubt your betta will even realize they're there.

Oct 29, 2010
I would recommend setting the tank up initially with either just cories + Malcolm, or just tetras + Malcolm, and keeping careful track of the parameters as it cycles. After a few weeks, you can add the next school. Don't want to overload that bacteria *thumbsups

It might be best to add the tetras first, so that Malcolm can't claim the whole tank as his territory. Cories shouldn't bother anybody down at the bottom :)

They should be available at Petsmart.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
betas can freak out over schooling fish so putting Malcolm with neons or tetras of any kind could be his demise

just something to watch for as they are generally solitary fish

Oct 29, 2010
Okay, the Albinos are a little bigger than pygmies so I'm playing with aqadvisor for you.

With 5 neons, Malcolm, and 5 albino cories, it says:
Recommended water change schedule: 37% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 114%

Same but 4 albinos:
Recommended water change schedule: 32% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 105%

So again, keep an eye on parameters, and you might want to go with four of the bottomfeeders :)

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I'll see what they have at Petsmart. If they have pygmy I'll get 5 of those. If not I'll get 4 albinos. Either way I'll pay very close attention to parameters and water changes. Slick tool.