10 Gallon Tank Questions

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Denther, tell us where about in the USA you live. We're good at hunting. :D

Edit: I wouldn't put anything over like 30g on a good solid table/desk. After that you pretty much need a stand, regular or DIY. DIY are usually more sturdy than the regular ones. People tend to go towards the super sturdy end of things when making it themselves.

Last edited:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
AHA! I think this one would be your winner. 30 gallon for 30 bucks. You might want to buy a glass versa top for it to put the light on.
30 gallon fish tank

Here's a 50 gallon for 50 bucks. It doesn't come with a stand. That would be about the only thing you need. If you have a super sturdy dresser you would like to use you might, maybe, possibly get away with it.
50 gallon fish tank with filter and stuff

Here's a 10 gal that comes with everything including an overstock of fish! 20 bucks.
total tank

So you have plenty of fairly good deals in Witchita. I saw several setups that are are are decent deals.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Man you guys are good at hunting. Thanks. I'll consider these. The 10 gallon is to far away to drive. The thirty is a possibility and the 50 would be to big even with a stand. My bedroom is kind of small. What size top would I need for the 30? Thanks so much guys. You're all fantastic.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
30 X-High 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 24 3/4

or

29 Gallon 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4

are the most common dimensions, generally a 29/30 will take the 24" hoods some are the 30" length, you have to measure to be sure

lots of people call 29's 30's so who knows if it is a 30h or a 29l you will need to measure, in any event i would be surprised if the hood doesn't come with the tank, if it is not working probably just needs a bulb

it appears to have a lid in the photos, maybe it is just a light strip in which case home depot can cut you some glass and electrical tape works good for a hinge

sometimes the glass gets broken

http://howtosandreviews.com/how-tos/pets-animals-howtos/diy-aquarium-glass-canopy-how-to

here are some instructions for another option although plexi glass warps really bad i would spend 6.00 instead of 3.00 and get heavy glass ;)

Last edited:

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
From what I can see it already looks like it has a hood or at least a light fixture. Just cover the rest of that with a sheet of glass?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeppers, you can do it some different ways home depot cuts glass for free, I like to line the edges with electrical tape so it isn't sharp and you want it cut to leave about 1" in the back for the fixtures and air :)

should cost you about 3.00 ;)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
nope just lay it right on top :) yes they both sell and cut it (ace and lowes both sell and cut it also). I like to silicone a knob to the glass to use for lifting it (cheapie knob at depot or lowes), other people like to hinge it in the center so you can flip up half of it (there were instructions on how to do this with weather stripping i have some someone made me that are hinged with extra wide duct tape.

the light wont have any issues sitting right on the glass, spend a bit more and buy the thicker kind

did you call on the tank? i find that sunday nights are the best time to check the craigs list, and that really good deals don't last very long into Mondays.

used filters and gravel are fine but i always recommend that folks buy a new heater when buying a used tank. i like the submersible kind.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ummm welcome to the pain the butt lol.

I like a colander + a garden hose + a bucket for the clean stuff + outside

just rinse it scoop by scoop in the colander good news is for a tank this size (30gal right?) you only need about 1/2 to 1/3 of a bag so it won't take ya too long. once its in the tank plan for it to take half a day to settle.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I clean gravel in a five gallon bucket (The bucket should not have been used for anything else like washing a car or cleaning a floor with soap or chemicals.)( I keep a bucket just for aquarium use only) I scoop some gravel (say a volume equal to a half gallon) into the bucket; put enough water in to cover the gravel; stir the water and gravel with a stick ( usually something like a broom handle with a rounded end or plastic end. Whatever will not damage the inside of the bucket.) Pour off the dirty water carefully so as not to pour out the gravel. Repeat until the stirred water is clean to your standard. (I generally do not work it until it is completely clear as the last remaining cloudiness is hard to eliminate and does not hurt all that much.) I dump the cleaned gravel into another clean container or the tank itself. (The tank should be leveled and exactly where it is to stay if you do this.) I repeat the process with another small volume of gravel until enough is cleaned for the current need. (Adjust the volume of gravel to match your strength and condition of your back as there is a lot of lifting.) I do it outside and during nice weather when possible. I do not suggest doing it in a bathtub as it will scratch the tub and clog the drains or both. (Just as a general thing I do not pour aquarium discard water into a toilet with a septic system.)
I have tried the colander method and it works also. My old colanders are somewhat small and it seems to take a lot longer.(They also become questionable to put back in the kitchen as they will show the effects of the activity.) I do like to use a colander to sift out and grade sand or a gravel mix. Bulk sand has a lot of various sized particles and a colander allows me to sort the size I wish to use. I have built a structure with various sized screening wire as well to sort.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I have an old school metal colander that i got at big lots, I use it for food to I figure rocks and dirt wash away pretty easily.

The pea gravel is super dirty so when i tried it in a bucket (and once a trash can that i drilled holes in the bottom of) i couldn't get it clean enough

I also tried doing it on an old screen door, this actually worked pretty well, spread the gravel out pretty thin and sprayed the heck out of it.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Okay thanks for the advice. I have decided to put getting a tank on hold until my betta dies. Grim I know but I will need the space he's in and he's a pretty aggressive betta so I don't think he would do well in a community tank. Thank you all so very much for your support and help!

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I have found a 10 gallon kit at Walmart that I am going to get. It's got everything except a heater for 30 dollars. And of course gravel/plants/fish. I know you all wanted me to get a 20-30 gallon tank but quite honestly I don't have the money for a tank of that size nor the space. I will see about moving my betta into that tank but if he causes any problems then I might be able to move my MiniBow with him in it. Would it be bad to have the MiniBow next to a computer w/ speakers?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
the mini bow is fine by the computer long as you don't ever spill or spring a leak

the ten gallon tank is what you would pay for a thirty if you found a good deal (it is actually the same price as what you are going to pay for that thirty honestly the space difference isn't really that noticeable either as a thirty will fit fine on the desk top you have) in the end it is your money and your tank so do what makes you happy

i will say recently we have had a rash of people with that aqua kit from walmart with leaky filters and various other issues on this forum so that is something to be aware of