120 build up

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
120 build up (updated 3-16 56k warning)

so i have the go ahead to convert our 120 gallon feshwater into a 120 gallon saltwater reef :D

i have an unlimited budget pretty much(within reason)

this is what i am thinking for lighting(the tank dimensions are 48x24x24)
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18364/si1378962/cl0/coralifeaqualightpro48250watthqi

i am gona need some advice on what skimmers are the best quality, and i cant seem to find any overflow conversion type devices for my nondrilled tank

as for circulation i am thinking these hagens
Aquarium Water Current: Hagen AquaClear Powerheads

i am buying my LR from Dr. Foster & Smith(just ordered 135lb.s of fiji for $4.20 per lb shipped to my door weeeee!)

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
all i can suggest is take it slow and do everything right the first time and itll save $$ in the long run .... as for the sump id go as big as possible under that big of a tank (i plan on using my 55 under the 125 when i convert it to reef!!) as far as the lighting i belive you can find a much better deal if you look arourd *thumbsups
btw if you have an unlimited budget why not get a few tunze 6000's :p

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i havnt found any compact lighting systems like that for less... space is kinda an issue with lighting i cant have large lights hanging from the ceiling :-(

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Congrats on the upcoming reef!

A lot of people prefer something like Maxijets, Seios or Tunzes over Aquaclear powerheads.

On other boards I see a lot of recommendations for Euro Reef skimmers.

On the lighting, were you planning on getting the 36" fixture? I'm probably going to go for a T5 fixture with individual reflectors (maybe a Tek unit), as I hear they're good for corals, but don't put out the heat. I've been reading threads all over the net about what to get. It's a big $ item, and I want to make sure I get something that will work the way I want it to. :) I'm really toying with the idea of the Solaris LED system, although it's gonna be like $2,800, I figure with the electricity savings it's almost worth it.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
Lotus said:
On the lighting, were you planning on getting the 36" fixture?

no, the 48" one... i looked at T5 set ups, but they just dont seem to put out enough watts it seems like... yeah i seen that led system, it seems a bit over kill for what i want

what is a reputable online dealer that carries Seios or Tunzes... big als and dr. foster dont carry thoughs brands, and i am not one to go willy nilly with randoe online sites and order up several hundred dollars worth of pumps and something bad happen, like me not getting what i ordered

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
ohh beauty, thanks! KahluaZzZ... ill order two tomorrow(or should i say later today?)

i got bored and decided to snap a few pics of what i got so far, tonights big task was removing the inhabitants who were very happy with their roomy home, the pleco was the easiest, and the pictus was by far the most difficult fish i ever had to "net", due to its long... uhm whiskers(i think they are called barbs but i am goin with whiskers at 2am) i couldnt net em, so i grabbed a tupperware tub thing to scoop em up, but when ever he caught glimpse of either my hand or the tub he made a mad dash for anywhere not near that thing so after a few misserbly failed attempts at removing em with the water line nearly to the top, i drained the tank, and fought him tooth and nail into the tupperware container, once in the container he was quite pleasant, almost as if he admitted defeat... not at all like the angle i had transferred over from the community tank(who got moved back in for the time being) he was splashing and trashing the whole way back... i couldnt blame em lol

well anywho heres a pic.... surprisingly enough i didnt rinse the sand and there was/is close to absolutely no clouding i was amazed i was expecting to fill and drain at least 3 times and deal with a very cloudy tank... the sand i used was quikrete white med grain sand i got a 100lb bag for $17 at a local Lowes harware store Link

heres a pic, looks a bit cloudy, there is some air bubble blur due to the spray bar and the slightly low waterline(expecting LR to raise it)

ohh yeah theres a 100 lbs of sand and it varies from 2.5" to 3.5" of sandbed

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
kool :)
hey just wanna tell ya that if you have very fine grain sand, aim at 3 to 3.5 inches so it can become a bio filter. ( Low oxygen bacterias converting nitrate to nitrogen ).

I didn't rinse my bags of sands neither..got no problems but can be risky..oh well.

You got there a perfect size tank, it'll be much more stable with a 120g and you choices of fishies and inverts are huge.

Welcome to the salty side :)

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
thanks, but i kinda already stuck my toe in so to speak with my nano, i am very confident about this much larger tank, except for the stuff i didnt research for the nano, but everything is working itself out nicely so expect a lot more pictures in about 4 days when i get the shipment of LR :D

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
ouch, the exchange rate isnt that much different where it costs the same just in different currency... i wounder why its soo much more for you?

i am gona have to do some more research and decide what pump is going to be the best for me, i would like a couple, and the thought of 3,000 gallons per hour sounds a bit much, and even more so with 5,200 gallons per hour(the 2600)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
just for reference, I have 1600 gph on my 40 gallon, and I would add more if it didn't look so cluttered...in bigger tanks getting good flow can be a problem, remember we are trying to simulate a tidal reef, so much more water flow than you can imagine.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
just when i switched from my 55 to my 80, the 820 lost a lot of movement, altough the 55 was 4' long like my 80. Rebounds on the panels, more depth etc..i tough it would be enough, now i need some more. Anyways, the Seios can be controlled, if you find the flow too strong there's an flow control on it.
To avoid dead spots, strong flow is the key.
I had to put my aquaclear powerheads back, but they just shoot straight, the flow isn't large at all. Altough they are pretty good powerheads, they just don't do the trick. Seio and Tunze all the way !!!

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i just placed my order on big-als for the 48" light i linked to earlier and 2 Taam Seio 2600's, and some misc. food... ill try and keep the receipts handy to give anyone who is interested a ball park idea on how much it was to set up a 120 from the ground up