125g saltwater startup

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
the tank reminds me of MM's for some reason... a suggestion for fish, since it has a fuge and is 125 gallons, how about a mandarin?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A mandarin is a possibility... in about a year, when the tank is mature enough.

I think the first fish will be some kind of sand sifting goby. I don't know which yet, it depends what the store has, and what's going to work best. It's probably end of Jan. before we buy a fish, and then it will be in quarantine for a while. :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Here are some pics from 1/1/2007.

Whole tank (with quarantine in the stand). We had to break some teeth on the weir of the overflow to get the heater moved over there. It's a lot less noticable now. You can see the void in the algae where the heater was:

Here's a closeup of the brown algae, with some hair algae, too. The white patches on the top are where the snails cleaned some of it off:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
All that algae is on the back panel. It's black, so I guess it shows up more. It's so thick that it's starting to come off in sheets -- yikes! It does look like it's subsiding, though... at least that's what I hope. :)

On the "good things" side, the macroalgae is growing well, and the pods seem to be breeding or at least I'm seeing more every day. The snails and hermits are slowly cleaning up the rock and glass, too.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Been a while since the last update. The algae has all gone. We went away for a long weekend and it disappeared.

We now have two new additions, and Orangespotted shrimp goby and a shrimp to go with him. No shots of the shrimp yet, but here's the goby:

The goby is eating well, and being pretty friendly. He hops around when he's eating, so he's been nicknamed Hoppity.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are plans for corals, but down the road somewhat. We want to get everything perfectly stable first. Then there's the lighting issue. :) Right now we have some CF frankenlighting on there (two random fixtures). We'll probably get MH, although I have been thinking about the LEDs (hmmm... a car or reef lighting...). The lighting will probably mean we have to get a chiller, so it might be a while for the financials.

The next purchase will be an RO unit. The tapwater isn't too bad for FOWLR, but there are phosphates in it.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Lotus said:
There are plans for corals, but down the road somewhat. We want to get everything perfectly stable first. Then there's the lighting issue. :) Right now we have some CF frankenlighting on there (two random fixtures). We'll probably get MH, although I have been thinking about the LEDs (hmmm... a car or reef lighting...). The lighting will probably mean we have to get a chiller, so it might be a while for the financials.

The next purchase will be an RO unit. The tapwater isn't too bad for FOWLR, but there are phosphates in it.
I can relate to that lol, When you are buying the things you dont notice the spending after reviews then your eyes just pop lol, which RO unit are you getting? I really don't know which is the best one, but purchased a Coralife Pureflo II and has been working good for me the 4 months(ish). Just hook it to the faucet when I need it.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Nice fish I like those guys alot, but no room in my tank for another bottom swelling goby.

Tank looks to be coming around from those pics... you can see the LR again instead of algea... LOL. got any new full tank shots to share so we can see the progress?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm still researching on the RO/DI unit. I am trying to work out what we will need. Eventually it will go into the fishroom, and we'll be using some RO for the freshwater tanks.

Here's a full tank shot. There's a little brown diatoms coming back. I'm guessing from after adding the goby:

And a pic that shows some of the macroalgae growth in the refugium. I have cut/removed a little of the macroalgae already.

Last edited: