125g saltwater startup

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Thanks for the nice comments :D

Well, Ecotank went out of town on business, so I doubt I can post a better pic of the dottyback for a while. He's healthy and happy, but very fast and hides in some tubes unless he's darting out for a piece of food. His color really is incredible, but it doesn't seem to come out well with a camera. Maybe once he's in the main tank it will be easier to take a photo of him.

The tiger goby went overflow surfing today. We also found the pistol shrimp in the overflow. There's now some plastic mesh on the overflow ;)

We also got some nassarius snails. They're the fastest snails I've ever seen. They remind me of submarines, because they dive really fast, and leave a little periscope (breathing tube, I guess) above the sand.

I may try to post another full tank shot. The green coraline is slowly turning pink, and I think we may have the start of coraline on the glass. I was away for a few days, and noticed a lot more small patches of coraline when I came back. The pod populations are doing well, and I've been seeing them on the rock in the main tank, as well as evidence from their burrows in the sand.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
the nassarius are SO much fun to watch :) lol I like watching them come up out of the substrate like magic whenever food gets put in the tank :D

Good call on the plastic mesh!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
For some reason, the color of the dottyback doesn't come out well on the camera. He's a really bright color.

There's no live rock in the QT. It was seeded with LR, but that was removed before we added fish to it. He does have a PVC tube cave thing, though, and he does like it. He's very friendly and active so far. He ate the first day we had him, and always comes out when the door to the QT is opened.

I had a panic the other day when I thought I saw ich on him, but it was only sand or air bubbles.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A couple of updates. I found some tubeworms on the rock, so far I see three small ones, with red fans. It's really the first thing, other than algae and pods, that's come from the rock. The coraline is growing in slowly but surely.

The gobies are doing well, but somehow they've buddied up, and share the two caves that the tiger goby built. I guess it's good that they're getting on, I just didn't expect them to be so friendly towards eachother.

The dottyback in quarantine is doing well. He had a little damage on one of his fins, but it's growing back nicely. I assume the damage was from the LFS or when he was caught there.

In the fuge, I have some strange growth on my codium (macroalgae). I'm trying to get an ID on it. Suggestions are that it's some kind of foraminiferan or bryozoan. Both are apparently harmless.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Nothing new right now. We somehow went to the store on the weekend and didn't buy a thing! We may get some more snails soon. The dottyback is still in QT and doing well. I found another (different) tubeworm thing on the rock yesterday, and there's a new sponge that appeared in the refugium.

We did get a refractometer (finally), and there's a new powerhead arriving this week, hopefully. I should do a new full tank shot, as I think the coraline is coming along.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I took a couple of shots tonight. The full tank shot looks the same as the last one, so I won't post it :)

Here's a shot of the gobies:

I got my new Hydor Koralia powerhead today, and it's in the tank. So far it seems to be doing a great job. There's definitely a lot more flow in the tank, and I may get another of the same for the other side of the tank.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The pajama cardinals went into the display today:

And we got some lyretail anthias for the quarantine tank. We're hoping to get either banggai cardinals, a carpenter's wrasse (or other flasher wrasse) or a pair of tiger gobies soon, depeding on what's available.

I finally got a calcium test today, and levels are at 460ppm. I was worried they were low, and that was causing the coraline to grow slowly. I think I'm just being impatient.

We have a RO/DI unit coming from thefilterguys.biz this week. :D