29 Gal Build Log : My First SW Tank

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Are you running a skimmer? if so you could get away with bi-weekly depending on your fish load and feeding habits. Watch your nitrates and phos and if they start to creep up increase the frequency of your wc and feed less often.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should be prepared to drip acclimate the corals for an hour. Some people don't bother, but I think it's a good thing. If you have a quarantine, you can quarantine them. If you don't try to take a good look at them for any bad hitchhikers before you put them in your tank.

Put the new corals low in the tank for the first week, while they acclimate. Move those that like higher light up a little each week until they're in the final place. If you haven't already, start researching their flow and lighting requirements.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes, second Lotus. You might want to read up on qt corals as that is usually preferable but in this case you are getting frags and as your tank is new I would carefully look them over and drip acclimate them slowly. This can be done easily by placing the corals in a bucket with the shipment water and running a airline as a siphon from your tank with a knot tied in it to slow the flow to a drip......this drip should double the water volume over an hour. Dump about half and double it again.......and you should be good. Depending on your light situation you will want to do as Lotus said and light acclimate them also....slowly....

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
ok i got home Corals were waiting for me . so i jumped on here and did what you said . i grabed my bucket and poured some shipment water in the bucket and started opinging up each frag and placing it in the bucket . i have it dripping now from the main tank .

There was not much shipment water . and started the drip fast because , the corals would stick out of the water . as soon as they where all under water i slowed the drip down . and going to let it do it for a hour .

i will get pics soon when i put them in the tank .

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Good, just remember that the whole idea is not to shock them either with temp or light or water parameters, hence the slow acclimation. Good luck sounds like you got a great bunch of frags. btw, where did you get them again?

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I got them from Ebay , I recommend this Guy / Gal . Shipped in a nice box and syrifoam and heat pack . evertything was seprated in there own bags and then all in a big bag with extra water . Evertythig looks good and alive !.

Heres a FTC UPDATE :

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Closeups

GSP & Fiji Orange/Green Zoanthid Mix

Aquacultured Twilight Pink Palythoa

silver green pumping xenia & Orange ricordia mushroom

RadioActive Dragon Eyes Zoa's / Green ricordia Mushroom / red ricordia mushroom

Torch Coral

Everty thing started to opem exept the GSP ????

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The gsp may take up to a week to open....don't fret. Boy is that a good deal. They all look great......pm me the name of the ebay seller and how much??? thanks!

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Yes they all looking great . Sorry the Pics Suck . Usally i take alot and pic the good ones. but i was so exited with my Frags i took like 5 pics . lol

i will take some more pics whem my atinics come on . colors really pop .

Lorna PM sent , Yes this Ebay seller is Great . He/she has lots of Corals and buy 4 get one free frags . and also when you buy over $50 bucks you get a free gift . I got my Palys for free and the GDP and the Dragon eyes , all free . I wont post his name publily , i dont want to break any rules. Thanks

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks, got it.....good reputable ebay sellers are hard to judge and once you have a good experience it's nice to know so that it isn't as hit and miss. She looks to have some great stock and her prices for both corals and shipping are in line unlilke some who hose you on the shipping charges......thanks again!

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Update !

Update post , pics will follow , Camera needs batterys :mad: . GSP starting to open !! I'am really happy they open so soon . Also i have a question about my green ricordia mushroom . It looks like its split into three mushrooms ( was like this when i got it ) and looks weird . and wont open fully yet i think . I will post pics later .

Last edited:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Everything is looking gooed execpt the xenia , a wole head dead off , and the other head is down to 3 big stalks . ?? what happen ? they never really pulpsed either . at first they where doing great then i moved them to a lower current spot for a few days maybe less light too . and thats when it happened . now i moved it up higher and in more flow . They where kept in the spot above in the pic .

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I believe xenia is a poor shipper.

It's a good idea to leave any coral where it is for at least a week before moving it, IMO. That way, you can see if it's still acclimating to the changes, or if it really does or doesn't like its new position.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I have some questions ?

What should i be fedding my fish and inverts ? All i use right now is brine shrimp .

what do any of my corals eat like my torch or mushroms etc ?

what do you all think of that garlic addative ?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
awesome corals!!

fish are good with mysis, brine etc. most frozen foods are good for them. by inverts do you mean clean up crew? or do you have a shrimp (that i am unaware of?) but they can eat the same as fish.

mushrooms dont need to be fed, but i have fed mine mysis shrimp before. just turn off the flow so they dont float away, then the shroom should do the rest. not sure on how/what a torch likes, but im willing to guess he'll like mysis aswell.

garlic additives are to make a fish's appetite better, correct?? i've never needed to use it so honestly, cant help you there!