29 Gal Build Log : My First SW Tank

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Tank Update ! Two New Fish !

I went to a New LFS Grand Opening . and they had a coupon in the mail for buy one get one free fish . so i stoped in to see what they had . and they had alot of fresh marine fish in . they open be open for 2 days . and they had a 6 line wrasse which i really wanted . and asked could i get a free clow fish and they said sure . I could of did this two morw times too. but now where to put all those fish . You could go in and buy a yellow tang for like 79.99 large one and get a free purple angel or some thing else under $79.99 free !

My 6 line cost $24.99 a little high but hey a free clown . *BOUNCINGS

plus now my other clown has a buddy . hes alot smaller thou and ben picked on alitlle by the big clown but stopped after couple mins , now its ever so often he just picks on the smaller guy . The 6 line and big clown totally respect each other . they just look at each other and dont do anything . and move on . if that . :cool:

Heres so PICS : *SUPERSMIL

FTS Also Added a Maxi-jet 900 i bought used for cheap .

Bad Picture but only one wish all three fish in it

Closeup Veiw of my new Candy coral and my other corals

Last edited:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Skimmer Update !

Its putting out less mircobubbles now but there are still some and its been running for 6 days now . also if i cut the power and restart the remora i get alot of mirco bubbles for about 12 hours or so .

Also i have the cup all the way up and still geting water ? or does the foem try back into water ? and is my S/G going down ? i throw away about 6 oz of water a day ? is there salt in those bubbles ? hers a pic :

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Sump/Refugeium Idea update !

First where can i get a 15H Tank ? Its pretty hard to find locally .

Second heres what i whould do to it if i can find one . *BOUNCINGS

I will Put Live Rock Rubble in the Intake Area , DSB of Fine Sand and Marco Alage and Chaeto in Refueiuem area . with a buble trap and the return pump area .

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I got a 15 high at PetSmart (same footprint as a 10g). It was marked as being an 18 high. I think it was the Top Fin brand (PetSmart brand).
Called my Local Petsmart . they say they cant get it at all . so i just got a 10 gallon tank .

i dont know if you got the sixline or not but thats one of the fish id wanna add last
Yes i got he last , he gets along really well with everyone else . he is alittle cocky but all talk .

Here it is my First Sump/Refugium 10 G i ever made . What you thnk . i aint wining no beatuy prizes , just want it to work good .

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Ok iam getting the overflow tommrow . I wait a directnal u-tube return . and use 3/4 plastic tubing for the return , and the Overflow comes with a 3 foot hose . all i need is a Pump , more Sand want to take this sand in the tank right now and make a 3.5 inch DSP in the Fuge . and i want more chucker sand . than the suger sand . i want some fiji pink carisea substare in the Display . I will also put cheato in the fuge . and LR in the Inlet Bubble trap .

Question will a ViaAqua Water Pump Model 2300 (600 GPH) work for now ? Only $22.99 Brand new Plus $6.99 S/H . at this price i firgured why not . any one else used this pumps before ?

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
yes i agree i will be as\dding a return which will have around 250 gph . and i want to sell my Korlina #2 ( Its for sale ) PM me if you like ? . Because i want to sell it and buy Two Korlina's #1 . I rather trade my #2 which is slighty used maybe 3 months now . for a newer korlina #1 new or newer than 3 months old .

Does that sound better ? thats two Hydor #1's = 800 gph

and my sump/refugium is around 200-300 gph . depends where i like it at . b/c its only a 10 gallon sump/refuge .

thats at least 1000 gph i should be set right ? i will face the two hydor's at eachother and the return where the dead spot is . *SUPERSMIL

ALSO thas\nks for everyones help here . if it wasnot for this website helping me so much . i probaly wounlt of did as good as i did and make some good choice as you ass suggested . THANKS and happy hoildays . *celebrate

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
heres a pic of my sump/refuge and a FTS with Antics only .

this is a new tank and stand i will switching over too, b/c its nicer and no scracths on the inside of the tank

you can see the leather in this shot , i like my 24+ poly candy coral i got for $29.99 at a local fish whole place . the yellow fiji leather was a large frag i bought also and way only $17.99 . i love that place .

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
i have a quite flow 600 which is rated at 600 gph , " but it does not do 600 GPH more like 250-300 Gph "

and i bought a pentair quiteone 3000 which is 780 GPH " which is way overkill " Because my HOB overflow does not flow like it should " Because they flow 600 GPH on maybe a 75 gallon tank but not a tank like mine it will maybe flow better than mine because you have more surface pressure .

So do not do what i did . Drill it and make two cornor over flows . Than you can do 600 GPH .

and btw the pentair 300 does 620 gph at 4 feet of head and 3 90 Deg fitting and a ball vavle and 1 inch tubing . then you turn the ball vavle down and get great contral . :cool:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
wellmy GSP ar Melting . i know my Alk and Cal got low . and Probaly Mag too . Just pure not doing large enough WC and moved the tank twice in a year caused some corals to die .

i just Fraged the Candy coral i have and threw all the dead heads in the sump also added this Remote Refuge today . Simply Teed my Return line to put water in a bucket and it drains back into the sump . Holds 5 Gallons . (hers a pic or two )

Now my Alk is 8.2 DKH and Cal is 420 PPM , so everty think else is doing GREAT . but why are my GSP melting ? also they grow alot of hair alage and i pull it off ever so often ( look at pic you can see the GSP in the Middle of tank on the Self . ) . i only seen like 4-5 polp open in 2 weeks and in mat is geting smaller and turning differt colors purple ?

yes i gona buy more hermits and a emarld crab for algae removal . Thanks

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What are your nitrates and phosphates at? The fuge should help with algae, provided you have some macroalgae in it. A turbo snail or two would also help with the hair algae.

I see you have some metal clamps on your plumbing. You should change those to plastic, as metal ones generally rust and cause problems for your corals.