29 gallon reef project (Pics included)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Liveaquaria is a great site and I have ordered stuff through their dry goods but never live stock or rock. I know people that have though and have had great service.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
It seems like thats a great deal for fiji live rock. The only set back would be that I cannot see it in person, but when I think about it, if I pick it out at the LFS, I only have some sort of idea how the rocks will fit together. No biggie to me. I will enjoy piecing it all together in the tank to create a nice reef. I have learned from my last Nano to not place the rocks so close to the edges. Do you think that 45lbs is too much for my 29 gallon? I guess at that price I could always just get rid of some after I keep a nice bit of rubble for myself.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Small update, I just purchased a AquaC Remora with the Maxi-jet1200 pump (got it for $116.00 shipped). Now I'm set with the lighting and filtration. Next weekend I pick up the tank from my cousin and I will be ordering some Fiji live rock and sand as well. I'm going to run the tank for quite a while before I buy anything to add to it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
bahama oolite....or something similar....oolite or sugar fine is the finest grain size and is favored by most sand dwellers....also it will offer the highest denitrification for the shallowest depth.....in other words the finer the sand the less needed to create a deep sand bed....

DeepSandBeds

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Alright, I now have the tank setup and ready to add everything, in stages of course! I'm getting the live rock, sand, ROI Saltwater, and heater this Friday - Saturday. I think I have decided to go with about 25lbs of rock. I originally wanted more, but I want some more room for fish to swim. Most likely I will be at the LFS and will just end up buying 30-40lbs. and calling it a day! I will add some pics tonight of the tank with the MH lighting on and the nice wood stand its resting on, empty and lonely. But its part of the process!

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Here is a shot of the tank empty and with the pump and MH light on top. Waiting to fill it this weekend with everything.

Sorry it looks a bit weird. I actually only had a 50mm lens on my camera, so I didn't have enough room to take the shot with the entire aquarium in it. i had to splice these 3 together.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
looks great! and having done your homework you are probably champing at the bit ready to get this going....just go slow and steady......can't wait to see it set up with the rock etc....

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
This weekend I'm buying 30lbs or so of Rock, 30lbs of sand, and all the ROI Saltwater I need and firing this bad boy up. My skimmer is floating around in the magical world of the United States Post Office, so hopefully it will be at my doorstep today. I'm ordering a Jebo 100watt heater and that should do it for its cycling process for now.

Question: Has anyone ever had a problem with a clown jumping out of the tank without a lid on it? My clown used to always jump into the filter section of my Nano and it was really annoying. (The one in the picture)

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A cover is always a good idea, never had a clown usually gobies and blennies jump. you can get egg crate at the local hardware store and make a cover so it doesnt interfere with the halide.